Greetings From Western Nc

GoldenHillbilly

Hello, I'm new to detecting but have been researching different gold prospecting techniques on and off for the last 7 years. I'm addicted to learning new things and felt it was time to stop lurking around here and join the fun. I live in the mountains of western North Carolina and am mostly interested in nugget hunting. This state was the biggest gold producer in the US until the California rush started. The gold around here is known for being very pretty with exceptionally high purity. I'm planning on buying my first detector this year, and hopefully it'll lead to some nice pics to share.

• Like 4

Welcome to the forum GoldenHillbilly!

You have come to the right place to learn the different techniques in this hobby.

You are in a great location for the gold and some nice gems also.

I have done some gold sluicing with my grandfather near Wilton Springs TN. if that is close to you.

Beautiful country for sure and glad to see you here. Please post some of your finds here when you get them.

What type of detector are you planning to pick up?

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm close to Hendersonville which is about 1.5 hours from Wilton Springs. As far as detectors go, I'm leaning towards the SDC 2300 or maybe the Garret ATX. I actually started a thread hoping to get some recommendations...

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/14744-selecting-a-detector-for-appalachian-ground/

22 hours ago, GoldenHillbilly said:

I actually started a thread hoping to get some recommendations...

I really like the 800 because it very versatile for many types of hunting, their updates and warranty is a big plus also.

Welcome GH!

Happy you have joined the fun! Take your time picking a detector! You have access to much more to find, than just gold! Although, that is a great choice!💰 Keep us posted how it goes!👍👍

We have a house in Yancey county will be back there in April. What part you from?

GH,

Keep the nugget fever, and add coin, and relic fever to the list! That way, you can always find something to hunt, no matter where you detect!!👍👍