Coils For Equinox

BGRIVER

So after returning the gold Kruzer to kellyco, I decided to go with an equanox 800 instead, thanks to Kellyco for hooking me up with a good deal! They took care of me! What coil is a good second coil? What do u use it for. I'll be in the river mostly and at the beach around 3 times a year. 

• The title was changed to Coils For Equinox

My first suggestion is to stick with the stock 11" round for at least the first several months.  It's quite good at separation and depth.

The 6" round coil is good for very small targets (e.g. tiny gold nuggets) and helps in extreme iron trash locations and around fenceposts, etc.

The 12"x15" gives better coverage (think 'wider lawn mower deck').  It's obviously heavier.  Works well when coverage is a driver (e.g. dry and wet beach, but not in the water).

But back to my first point -- IMO you should hold off getting the auxilliary coils until you've gotten a couple hundred hours (minimum) experience with the stock coil.  Learning that will allow you to appreciate the special features of the other two.

• Like 7

My buddies use the 6" and stock 11 mostly. One has the 13x15 but depth isn't that much different and is heavy for him so he uses a bungie on it. He likes it to cover big ground like fields.

I would think you would get more use out of the 6"

8 hours ago, kac said:

My buddies use the 6" and stock 11 mostly. One has the 13x15 but depth isn't that much different and is heavy for him so he uses a bungie on it. He likes it to cover big ground like fields.

I would think you would get more use out of the 6"

Being on a beach or river it sounds like you would not have a location where target saturation is a problem. The 6" coils would excel in a target saturation environment. But in all reality the Nox 11" coil is an awesome separator of targets. I just don't see money well spent on another coil. However that money could be used for a nice graphite shaft, coil and screen protector. A decent arm cuff too!!!!   Dave

• Like 5

I use the 6" coil in high junk park areas and it has found targets the stock 12" coil has missed - an amazing little coil. I use the 12" on  beaches. I have tried the 15" on the beach but i find it too heavy but many people are happy with the weight.

The best 2 coils to use on the 800 is what everyone has stated before me.

I would go  with the stock 11 inch and the 6 inch coil and never look back again.

Good luck on your hunting and be patient on learning the 800, I myself only use the factory presets and have no problems finding anything. It has even found me some smelly things that were keepers.

• Like 1

I have the stock 11" and 6" coils. One reason I chose the 6" coil was because I hunt in the water where visibility is often poor and it helps me with pinpointing. It has better depth than I was expecting for such a small coil and helps me find small gold jewelry.

• Like 1

I have all three coils and the two that get used the most are the 11" and the 6" the large coil gets used mostly on the beach or big ball fields... and after a few hours of swinging it I look forward to moving down 

strick

The 6" coil. I used it in lakes all last summer.