Because I am new to the nugget hunting experience, to use an analogy, I have decided to start building my fishing rod so that I can learn to fish and then find a lake in which to fish and, hopefully eventually find a fishing hole.  To this end I continue to read the various threads on this and other forums.  On this forum I have found several threads discussing popular nugget hunting books and Steve Herschbach’s list of free books in pdf format.  To provide a starting point in the learning process I have constructed a list of (gold) nugget hunting references, as shown below.  I recognize that some of these books are out of print and difficult to source.  My question is this:  what other nugget hunting related books would you recommend that I try to read or review?

1.    Tom Bohmker

a.    Elusive pocket gold in southwest Oregon

b.    Finding pocket gold in California’s Klamath Mountains

2.    Gold Rush Nuggets

a.    Metal Detecting for Gold

3.    Pieter Heydelaar

a.    Successful Nugget Hunting, Vol. 1

4.    Peter Heydelaar & David Johnson

a.    Advanced Nugget Hunting with the Fisher Gold Bug Metal Detector

5.    Dave Johnson

a.    Gold Prospecting with a VLF Metal Detector

6.    J. Klein

a.    Where to find gold in the desert.

7.    James A. McCulloch

a.    Advanced Nugget Shooting; How to prospect for gold with a metal detector, Revised edition

b.    Advanced Nugget Shooting with the Goldmaster 24K

8.    Ray Mills

a.    Detecting for gold

9.    Jimmy Sierra Normandi

a.    Finding Gold Nuggets II

10.  Chris Ralph

a.    Fists Full of Gold

b.    ICMJ articles

11.  Larry Sallee

a.    Zip Zip, Mastering your nugget detector

b.    Zip Zip, The advanced course

c.    The Complete, Unabridged Zip Zip

12.  Jim Straight

a.    Three Hours to gold

b.    Advanced Prospecting & Detecting for Hardrock Gold

c.    Follow the drywasher, 8th Ed.

d.    Nugget shooting dry placer areas

e.    Articles in ICMJ

f.     Articles in Western and Eastern Treasure magazine

13.  Delos Toole

a.    Gold Nugget-teering in Nevada

14.  Reese Townes

a.    The Nugget Shooters field guide

15.  Jeff Williams

a.    Where to find gold

Thank you in advance to all of you for your advice.

Steven, you reside in Washington, and use a Goldmaster 24k. I would recommend 7b, 10a, and 14a. HH Jim

• Like 1

There is a lot of good books there. I would suggest that you spend a day or two at a known location and see what you be detecting and how your equipment reacts. This will enable you to know what the books are talking about and save you a lot of time learning how to find gold. 

• Like 2

That's quite the list you've assembled.  I agree with Geof -- basically textbooks are only part of learning.  The 'laboratory' part is key.  Here are a couple suggestions in line with that:

The Gold Prospectors Association of America has instructional information, a bi-monthly publication (pay particular attention to anything Kevin Hoagland writes), regional weekend conventions open to members and non-members alike, and many 10's of claims throughout the Western USA open to all members.  They also have local chapters -- find one in your area and visit (after Covid-19...) -- you will be welcomed as a non-member interested in joining.

Gerry McMullen teaches 3-day group classes with the help of four very experienced assistants.  Gerry has a MD dealership and if you buy from him you get a discount on tuition (all they way up to 100% discount for the high end gold detectors).  I didn't find out about Gerry's discounts until I already had my gold detector so I paid the full 'tuition' to take the class and it was worth every penny.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By mn90403
      While looking at this online book I saw a sketch of the San Bernardino meteorite.  The report was published in 1883!

• By Jzconcepts
      Hello, my father lives in SW Utah and I would love to take him nugget shooting somewhere. He is 100% disabled from Vietnam and he can use the shovel as a cane for a while and I am usually his “digger” and pinpointer guy 🙂
      So I was hoping for some info on where I he and I could go nugget hunting, with my Orx in either Az or southern Utah, Nv.
      So we can plan a trip together (researching and reading will give him something to do) 🙂
      He doesn’t have many years left where he can even get around on his own, so any input would be great, thanks in advance
    • By KellycoDetectors
      When metal detecting, whether you are gold prospecting, relic hunting, or water hunting; it is easy to get discouraged. However, it’s important to know that you can better your results in metal detecting if you explore some of these best practices. I prefer to call it Smart Hunting!
      Find a Metal Detecting Location with Google Earth
      Use Google Earth to search your local area for new potential spots. Start off by branching out from where you live. Sometimes there are fields hidden in woods that you can’t see from a major street or road. Keep your eye out for clear stretches of land. You should be able to see the difference between a forest and a field.
      Organize Your Metal Detecting Leads
      If you see something that piques your interest, drop a pin. You can also make separate folders to organize your leads. Just make sure your privacy settings are enabled! You do not want to share your new potential locations right away!
      You can grab the Latitude and Longitude aka coordinates, from Google Maps. Make sure you have this information copied or saved in a separate area, as you will need it.
      Use Historical Aerials
      You may now use Historical Aerials to “peel back time” for your respective area. This website gives you access to many historical aerial photos that may help you refine the area you want to detect in.
      This is great if you are looking for things like old trails and swimming holes.
      If you are looking for old relics and coins then it may be best to look at an atlas for that area. For example, in NJ you can find free Atlases online that date back to the 1800s. All you have to do is search on google. Depending on the atlas you look at it may even show you old homesites, which is a fantastic clue.
      An example of a really great website for atlases is Historic Map Works.
      Research the Property Owner and Ask For Permission
      Once you have found your “prime” location, the next action is to obtain the permission of that area. It is important to always have the permission of the area in which you are detecting and most importantly, never to trespass.
      But, how does one find out who owns that property? Well, there are many ways to obtain information. For now, we will focus on the Smart Hunting aspect.
      There are tools online for each state in the US that allow you to pull up public tax assessment information. Remember when we said save your coordinates? Use the information discovered to build your strategy as you will be given contact information to aid you in your journey to permission.
      If the location in which you are Smart Hunting turns out to be a business, find the website to the company. Try to locate a “contact us” page to strengthen your efforts in getting the permission you are seeking. You may also attempt to create a “Waiver of Liability,” as businesses want to ensure you are not an insurance risk. Do not get discouraged if you get a no. I always try to play the “No” game. And that is how many “No’s” can you get before you get a yes. You will be surprised with your outcome!
      Sometimes if the property is owned by a private resident it will show their contact information. Again, I want to clarify that this is public information. You may choose to find them on social media or send them a well thought out handwritten letter. Why? Because people need to write more handwritten letters. You also have the option to show up at their home. If it is a farm, sometimes this works out as they often have farm stands. Go grab some juicy vegetables and talk yourself into some permission. Need some exercise? Maybe lend a helping hand on the farm! You never know of the doors that will open through the power of positivity.
      If you manage to gain permission, you now have your opportunity to put the Smart Hunting you did to work.
      You have now become a Detective Detectorist!
      Smart Hunting: Metal Detecting With Technology originally appeared on kellyco.com
    • By Northeast
      A few months ago I suggested I was keen to get a copy of Reese's 'Nugget Shooter's Field Guide' but the shipping to Australia was a killer. 
      Fellow forum member Chuck (aka Ridge Runner) took it upon himself to purchase a copy, reached out for my address and posted it to me.  
      What followed was a comical travel itinerary of Chicago to Japan to Chicago to Sydney (actually in Australia!! 🤣) to Chicago to San Antonio to Chicago to Japan...and then for about the last 3 weeks...nothing  😳  I was starting to think that maybe it had travelled one leg too far and it had really lost its way. 
      Until today, when it just turned up in the letterbox without any tracking notifications from within Australia.  Who cares, it's here!!  🥳  🎉
      So, thank you Chuck.  Your kind gesture is truly appreciated.  And thank you for providing your return address.  I know you have asked nothing in return but my friend, when the right thing comes along that is commensurate to my appreciation it will most certainly be making its way to you.  And thank you for the hand written note  😊

This is the second time in the past few months that several forum members (Chuck and a few from the Prospecting Australia site) have been very kind and giving.  Information, helping and kindness are the great components of these forums and is something we can all aim for.  
      Thanks again Chuck   🙏
      Now, I've got some reading to do!!  

• By Cascade Steven
      As I continue my research into bucket dredge tailings areas I am trying to find maps showing at least the general locations of these tailings as they occur in various states.  After many hours of internet research I have found environmental reports, state park reports, and scientific studies on individual sites.  I have also found an old report for the state of Oregon with a page size map.  However I have not yet found a comprehensive map of at least the general location of all dredge tailings for any of the individual western states (other than Oregon).  Nor have I found a comprehensive map of all of the dredge tailings in the western U.S.  Do such maps (or books for that matter) exist for either the states or the western U.S.?  Just curious if I had missed something (maybe even the obvious) or if I was blessed with the opportunity to create such a document from scratch?  Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
    • By Kioti
      I have a friend in Shirley, Arkansas that says there is no gold over there. Anyone know different?