Nugget Hunting Book List Question

Because I am new to the nugget hunting experience, to use an analogy, I have decided to start building my fishing rod so that I can learn to fish and then find a lake in which to fish and, hopefully eventually find a fishing hole.  To this end I continue to read the various threads on this and other forums.  On this forum I have found several threads discussing popular nugget hunting books and Steve Herschbach’s list of free books in pdf format.  To provide a starting point in the learning process I have constructed a list of (gold) nugget hunting references, as shown below.  I recognize that some of these books are out of print and difficult to source.  My question is this:  what other nugget hunting related books would you recommend that I try to read or review?

1.    Tom Bohmker

a.    Elusive pocket gold in southwest Oregon

b.    Finding pocket gold in California’s Klamath Mountains

2.    Gold Rush Nuggets

a.    Metal Detecting for Gold

3.    Pieter Heydelaar

a.    Successful Nugget Hunting, Vol. 1

4.    Peter Heydelaar & David Johnson

a.    Advanced Nugget Hunting with the Fisher Gold Bug Metal Detector

5.    Dave Johnson

a.    Gold Prospecting with a VLF Metal Detector

6.    J. Klein

a.    Where to find gold in the desert.

7.    James A. McCulloch

a.    Advanced Nugget Shooting; How to prospect for gold with a metal detector, Revised edition

b.    Advanced Nugget Shooting with the Goldmaster 24K

8.    Ray Mills

a.    Detecting for gold

9.    Jimmy Sierra Normandi

a.    Finding Gold Nuggets II

10.  Chris Ralph

a.    Fists Full of Gold

b.    ICMJ articles

11.  Larry Sallee

a.    Zip Zip, Mastering your nugget detector

b.    Zip Zip, The advanced course

c.    The Complete, Unabridged Zip Zip

12.  Jim Straight

a.    Three Hours to gold

b.    Advanced Prospecting & Detecting for Hardrock Gold

c.    Follow the drywasher, 8th Ed.

d.    Nugget shooting dry placer areas

e.    Articles in ICMJ

f.     Articles in Western and Eastern Treasure magazine

13.  Delos Toole

a.    Gold Nugget-teering in Nevada

14.  Reese Townes

a.    The Nugget Shooters field guide

15.  Jeff Williams

a.    Where to find gold

Thank you in advance to all of you for your advice.

There is a lot of good books there. I would suggest that you spend a day or two at a known location and see what you be detecting and how your equipment reacts. This will enable you to know what the books are talking about and save you a lot of time learning how to find gold. 

• Like 2

That's quite the list you've assembled.  I agree with Geof -- basically textbooks are only part of learning.  The 'laboratory' part is key.  Here are a couple suggestions in line with that:

The Gold Prospectors Association of America has instructional information, a bi-monthly publication (pay particular attention to anything Kevin Hoagland writes), regional weekend conventions open to members and non-members alike, and many 10's of claims throughout the Western USA open to all members.  They also have local chapters -- find one in your area and visit (after Covid-19...) -- you will be welcomed as a non-member interested in joining.

Gerry McMullen teaches 3-day group classes with the help of four very experienced assistants.  Gerry has a MD dealership and if you buy from him you get a discount on tuition (all they way up to 100% discount for the high end gold detectors).  I didn't find out about Gerry's discounts until I already had my gold detector so I paid the full 'tuition' to take the class and it was worth every penny.

• Like 1