Tarsacci Waterproof Rating Ip68 - Kruzer/anfibio Rating Ip68

Anfibio is rated waterproof to 16'. Tarsacci is rated to 30 min underwater.

Both ip68 why the difference.

I can't find what the Equinox rating is.

• Like 1

You are mixing up two things - what IP68 means, and what the manufacturer says it will warranty.

Devices backed by an international standard rating of IP68 are deemed fit enough to withstand dust, dirt and sand, and are resistant to submersion up to a maximum depth of 1.5m underwater for up to thirty minutes. That is what it means, period.

Equinox has some IP68 rated coil connectors, and if you go by the weakest link then an Equinox is also IP68. Same goes for almost all waterproof detectors except ones with custom coil connectors. I suspect that all models rated to 10 feet would pass only an IP68 test at best.

But manufacturers can promise more under warranty. So I tell you ten feet all day, it leaks, I fix it free while under warranty. Many machines never see water, so it is a bit of a gamble. And most IP68 machines will make it just fine, but others will not. I'm sure there are weak IP68 fittings and strong IP68 fittings on the market. In other words, some barely make the rating, while others meet it easily and in excess.

I do not consider any model rated to 10 feet to really be anything more than a wading detector or light snorkel use. Real dive models are rated to 100 feet plus.

A related note here:

"The 8 at the end means the phone has been tested at depths more than 1 metre, and found to be unharmed. While the standard testing doesn't specifically mention an exact depth, you'll find manufacturers do list them. For instance, Samsung says its IP68-rated Galaxy Note 10+ can survive being up to 1.5 metres deep for up to 30 minutes. 

The iPhone 12 Pro is also IP68 rated, meaning that it will be happy with complete submersion and Apple say that will survive in up to 6 metres of water."

So even Apple does it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I do not consider any model rated to 10 feet to really be anything more than a wading detector or light snorkel use. Real dive models are rated to 100 feet plus.

Steve, that really helps me in thinking about using my 800 in the creeks near me. Some of them are deeper than 6 feet and I was going to use my scuba tanks with it, now I think I will just keep it above the water most of the time.

Thanks for the information.

I have relegated my Equinox 800 as water resistant. 

I will be using my Orx or Gold Kruzer deeper. Or get something else.

• Like 1

Heres a good chart.... note what the 8 means.... and like Steve said the manufacturer has the final say.  

http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart/

you have a mix of hardware and connectors.   Some simply go by the rating of the connectors.  Its difficult to rate the entire component.   Testing will tell.  I also agree Demitar maybe conservative in his rating.   However.... it appears he is better waterproofing his box and the battery area to say yes its waterproof if you saw that video Steve posted.  He spent a little extra time on mine to waterproof it.  Mostly what hes doing now... sealed off my speaker and the wires coming in from the bottom of the box.  Other than that this things pretty tight.   Yes .... anything rated to 10' to me is a wader and about 98% of us need to detect out there..... provided the manufacturer has a good warranty and stands behind it.   Thats HUGE for any machine going in the salt water.   You also have to consider this is a small growing company.....it doesnt have a ML size repair shop.    thus far im not aware of any systemic repair issues with this machine and as Steves video also shows its evolving based on our suggestions id say.

• Like 1