Impulse AQ Operating Characteristics

Clive .....I have to say I find the Excalibur in All Metal easier to determine the shape, size, and depth of the target. I think part of the reason is the excalibur has a much softer audio. The "AQ"s audio is on steroid's and one must use great coil control to be able to define the shape and size of the target. Depth seems to be a little easier but really can take time to adjust to if your use to other All Metal machines. I do a few scoops then check the target, Oooo it's the next scoop..and Bam its deeper, then every scoop it getting louder and louder..2 scoops later and hard to believe it's blasting like it's a can.. but its a coin or ring. Really takes getting use to a machine that is so powerful. 

I also love those one way signals on the edge of the detecting field. If you try and move around and get it better ... it disappears...Love this Machine.

• Like 8

Can't help thinking that most hunters would have a much easier time if they had done some time with a pulse.  I think that's why you do so well with the Excal--you have learned to run it like a pulse--and assess your targets with a wider set of metrics.  By pulse hunter standards any discrimination spoils you.  There's just as much info to be got from the context.  Its true though a narrow deep pulse signal is always going to be non-ferrous--simple physics.  The TDI is bad for one ways--jury still out on the AQ certainly seems more consistent in that once its "caught" a target it keeps it. 

cjc

• Like 5

16 hours ago, cjc said:

Its true though a narrow deep pulse signal is always going to be non-ferrous--simple physics.

Would you mind explaining that in more detail?  Does this only apply to PI signals or IB/VLF signals also?

On 1/8/2021 at 5:20 PM, cjc said:

Can't help thinking that most hunters would have a much easier time if they had done some time with a pulse.  I think that's why you do so well with the Excal--you have learned to run it like a pulse--and assess your targets with a wider set of metrics.

It was just amazing how I could call target size with my Sovereign!  

• Like 2

whereas with something modulated like the Equinox you have no clue. 

cjc

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 2:21 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I disagree.

Let me qualify that statement.  When you have a pulse that you are really familar with--that you know the feild size well on, and you hear a very faint, narrow signal that's round--there is a very good chance that it will be non-ferrous.  I can certainly do this with the Cuda--having run it for 30 years....

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 10:32 AM, GB_Amateur said:

Would you mind explaining that in more detail?  Does this only apply to PI signals or IB/VLF signals also?

well- its really about knowing what the machine will do.  with either platform signals at the edge of the range are either big iron being heard in part or something non-ferrous carrying up to the surface because it conducts well.  more about being familar with the machine than any principle of physics. cjc