New To Forum

Jim S.

I am fairly new to MD'ing. Mostly Myrtle Beach while on vacations. A little around home Clark County Ohio. I want to upgrade to something else from my DFX 300. Any suggestions that won't break the bank?

Jim

• Like 3

Welcome. You picked a great forum to join. Check out the Detector Data Base that has been compiled by the main man of this site, Steve Herschbach. The tab to access it is at the top of each of these pages. Should be good info for you.

• Like 1

I just read about the Whites DFX 300 in the database myself as I was unfamiliar with it. Sounds like a good solid all around machine. If you have learned to run it well you are doing good already.

• Like 1

I'm 78 years old and not as spry as I was! Seems the DFX is getting heavier every time I use it. I am looking for the same features (or better) with a lighter weight. Maybe one that can be belt mounted.

welcome to the DP adventure, I would suggest a nokta simplex+ it's about 2.9 pounds, or minelab vanquish 340  2.6 pounds.  Glad your here Good Luck

Welcome to the forum, we are glad to see you here and willing to help with what ever you need.

Since I have used my grandfathers Equinox 800 I can tell you that the Mine Lab equipment is solid. Many others have tested the Vanquish series which is very good and does just as well as the 800. It is not waterproof but other than that is almost equal to the 800.

There are several threads on here that compare models that are very good and are nice to read.

Good luck and good hunting.

• Like 1

Welcome! I’ve gone back and forth between DFX and V3i several times now, and once again have come back to DFX. If you like the DFX, I’d normally point you at something like the White’s MX7. It shares many similarities as far as how Whites does things (target id range, tones, etc). Unfortunately, with White’s basically gone, you may have to switch brands. There are very many options, but the Minelab Vanquish 540, either the basic package, or the Pro Pack, might be worth a look. It is a light, comfortable detector with excellent bang for the buck. If you want to go higher end and really different, check out the XP Deus. It’s as light as you can get, a featherweight detector. Both have transferable warranties so can be bought used with little risk, or sold with warranty if you do not like them. They hold better resale value than most while the transferable warranties are still in effect. Three years for Vanquish, which means all of them made so far are still under warranty. XP has a five year transferable warranty.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2021 at 11:52 AM, Jim S. said:

I'm 78 years old and not as spry as I was! Seems the DFX is getting heavier every time I use it. I am looking for the same features (or better) with a lighter weight. Maybe one that can be belt mounted.

I am in the same boat as I became disabled and have not hunted for six years but I have a DFX 300 and a DFX which are now for sale and I bought a Minelab Equinox 800 it is like night and day

• Like 3