Beach Techniques

If your using the 800, most caps should give a slight iron grunt that you can discern and skip! Although they can mask a good target! Beer caps and lost items naturally go together, especially at the beach! Aluminum screw caps are near impossible to eliminate, without a chance of missing a good target! Pull tabs can be discerned to some extent, but they usually fall right next to nickels 13-14, and also some gold rings! And there are many miscellaneous targets that are hard to eliminate, without the chance of missing something good!

I've found that, by the the time you spend minutes trying to decipher a target, you could have dug two or three more targets, and know for sure! I usually only get picky when my knee's and/or back can't take the "dig everything" mode!

Keep at it! There's gold waiting for you somewhere! Enjoy!👍👍

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Joe D. said:

If your using the 800, most caps should give a slight iron grunt that you can discern and skip! Although they can mask a good target! Beer caps and lost items naturally go together, especially at the beach! Aluminum screw caps are near impossible to eliminate, without a chance of missing a good target! Pull tabs can be discerned to some extent, but they usually fall right next to nickels 13-14, and also some gold rings! And there are many miscellaneous targets that are hard to eliminate, without the chance of missing something good!

I've found that, by the the time you spend minutes trying to decipher a target, you could have dug two or three more targets, and know for sure! I usually only get picky when my knee's and/or back can't take the "dig everything" mode!

Keep at it! There's gold waiting for you somewhere! Enjoy!👍👍

At the beach sand dig all as JOE said is best way to go BUT on good lawns discriminate is the way to go if there are a lot of signals.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Joe D. said:

most caps should give a slight iron grunt

100 %

9 hours ago, Joe D. said:

I've found that, by the the time you spend minutes trying to decipher a target, you could have dug two or three more targets, and know for sure!

Yep, it is so easy digging at the beach it is just easier to dig everything. 

One of my last targets today was a rough 15 and there was a little iron grunt too. Thought it would probably be a bottle top but dug it anyway. Glad I did... V20 14k so it’s rolled gold and doesn’t weigh much but it’s gold!  Patchy signal as was bloody deep. 

96DA1EF3-F32A-4EDF-8FBD-2B8857A49439.thumb.jpeg.11fb244f13ee97cb4bb5937e337b93bf.jpeg

Some costume jewellery as well...

25F56CAF-71B0-4915-A14F-4782E0FF0551.thumb.jpeg.354656c98a880660f3c4f83264d8b8ed.jpeg

and a special little bracelet that is either a $70 replica or a 10k genuine article. Considering where we are the genuine article is a real possibilty  😳

AD932D05-B626-4877-9F41-24180DB09110.thumb.jpeg.b5d983f9bcc754f58f8c43e091ec1aec.jpeg27A47E9B-3CB5-4167-973F-D338FE15B4EB.thumb.jpeg.aa314c724ad5f1e8cd9e18c48ee9d6c3.jpeg

Day 3, session 1 was a cracker. 

• Like 8

I have found a large number of gold jewellery but have only found a small number of non 9 & 18K ones plus a few 22K rings. So if you get the same ratio as me you will be more than happy when you get the 9,18 & 22K rings, best of luck. 

Gold Hallmarks
• .999 or 999 - 99.9% gold - 24 karat
• .916 or 916 - 91.6% gold - 22 karat (917 is used too for 22 karat gold)
• .833 or 833 - 83.3% gold – 20 karat
• .750 or 750 - 75.0% gold - 18 karat (18ct 18kt 18k) European market.
• .585 or 585 - 58.5% gold - 14 karat (14kt 14k) European market.
• .417 or 417 - 41.7% gold - 10 karat (10kt 10k) United States market.
• .375 or 375 - 37.5% gold - 9 karat (9ct 9kt 9k) Australian market term is 9ct for 9 carat.
• .333 or 333 - 33.3% gold - 8 karat (minimum standard for Germany after 1884)

The marking V20 14k means that the article is made with 14 karat rolled gold. The V20 mark specifically refers to the volume of total weight of the article that is comprised of 14k gold. In this case 1/20 of the total weight is 14 karat gold. Rolled gold is a very similar process to gold filled.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great finds! Good on you!

I knew the gold would eventually turn up for you! Third day's the charm! Literally! And you already have a lovely hand model to show off, and keep, all your finds!🤣 👍👍

• Haha 2

Well done so far.

More to come Adam.  If the family can live without you keep detecting but some of the memories at the beach with family are more precious than the detector finds.

Mitchel

• Like 3

Thanks geof, Mitchel and Joe. 

I agree Mitchel, only about 15% is detecting time on this holiday.  This morning was early am when everyone else was still asleep. 

Cold and showery here today so the girls have made the most of it - manicure, pedicure and now they’re off getting a massage.  

Another beach jaunt this evening for an hour if the weather holds out. 

And we had the jewellery checked.  The diamonds in the bracelet are not real. The pearl in the other bracelet is real but it is a freshwater one.  Still happy though 😀

• Like 4

Every day is a different day on the same beach.  You just don't know what you will hear.

Detecting in storms can be very rewarding.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Detecting in storms can be very rewarding.

You can’t just put that out there and not expand Mitchel!!  🤷‍♂️🤣

1 hr this evening just close to accomodation turned into a mad dash back in the rain.  Blow a dog of a chain here at the moment  🌬️

I assume the ocean beach will be copping a bit overnight.