Has Anyone Ever Found A Gold Nugget With A Detector In The Mid West Or The North East Or Heard Of One Found ?

I know they exist because i I found a 1.3 grain piece south of buffalo panning. I heard of a 1.6 gram piece found with  dredge in the Finger lakes region.I talked to a  geologist in  Buffalo who was sifting glacier material in a certain  spot and found a nugget big enough to have in his wallet.He  did not have it with him  at the  time because he was just walking his dog.I did find a .5 grain piece with my AT gold checking all the material that was  around  my pan from all the cracks we had cleaned.I would have not got it if i did not have my machine since  there was to much sand blocking it from view.I guess  that could be counted a tailing pilings piece since I was competing with a buddy in all those cracks.

• Like 1

This book (apparently currently out-of-print) talks about and shows photos of nuggets (in the neighborhood of a few pennyweights) that the author, Chuck Lassiter, has found.  I don't remember if he used a metal detector to find any of these but I know he talks about metal detecting.  The two places I recall him finding decent sized nuggets are in the Wabash River (probably dredging) and in coal, stone, and gravel pits/quarries where the heavy equipment has reached ancient bedrock.

Update --  Here's a photo and caption from P. 78 of the above book:

Indiana-gold_Lassiter.thumb.jpg.b9f32ac1130d10a4de6e666e23f60749.jpg

• Like 3

There are spots in the Finger Lakes that probably have a lot of gold in them but finding those spots which could be buried in hundreds of feet of gravel would be almost impossible plus would not be allowed in that region.Seneca lake is over 600 feet deep and they don't know how much material to bedrock.  There is a article in a old treasure magazine of a man in the  1800's who after many years of looking found a deposit that made him very rich.This was in  Northern Pennsylvania.

There have been good size nuggets found in Maine, can't remember the name of the river but a little research will bring it up, not sure if any were found with metal detectors, most gold hunters up there try to use dredges, but I remember on a Gold Fever show years ago Tom Massie visited and dredged up there and they showed a large collection of nuggets from a dredger with a few over an ounce and many at least 1/4 ounce.

Also a dredger from one of the older forums found a 2 ounce nugget in that river about 10 years ago.

I also know of a fellow that has found numerous gold nuggets in Virginia with a metal detector on private property, with a couple at around 1 and 2 ounce range.

• Like 2

There has been several gold mines here in Illinois, and several people that I know finds nuggets every year using their metal detector. There is more found using a sluice or dredge in my area than a detector, but I for one am learning how to detect gold with my 800, so soon I will be posting some of those nuggets myself I hope.

• Like 3