Nuggetfinder 17"x13", Coils, Solid Or Spoked?

Nigel M

• The title was changed to Nuggetfinder 17"x13", Coils, Solid Or Spoked?

From memory around 100grams difference in weight. The solid one is more popular here in our neck of the woods because it glides smoothly along the ground.

• Like 2

Solid is my preference in the Australian bush as the spoked coils seem to get snagged on sticks, rocks etc. whereas the solid glide better over & around that type of ground as JP said.

Not sure if it works with the Evo skid plates but with large NF Advantage coils many would use a spoked coil with a skid plate off a solid coil to still save some weight but have the flat bottom. I have a spoked 20" NF Advantage that I purchased used that has the 20" solid skid plate attached. It's ok to use like that but then you get the issue of debris collecting in the open top of the coil. IMO if I was buying new I'd go solid & put up with a bit of extra weight (when I'm getting up around 14" or bigger I always use a bungy anyway so it's negligible really).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nigel M said:

Hi everyone.

I have a Gpx5000, Based your experiences, which coil is the best between the 2 Nuggetfinder 17"x13" coils. The Solid coil or spoked? 

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Nigel M.

I've had both, as for which is best? No difference.

As for which I prefer? I've always preferred a spoked coil. I like to see what is directly under the coil and always found them easier to pinpoint I think for the same reason.

Never really had a problem with them even in stick hangeruppy type places

• Like 3

The open sections of the spoked version is very minimal, and with the curved edges of the coil, getting sticks etc snagged up is hardly an issue. I had a spoked, then went with a solid, then went back to a spoked. My current spoked came from a customer who traded it on a 19" evo as he wanted more depth. After testing it I kept it for myself. Just mated up to the old 4500 perfectly. 

• Like 2

Since I like to use the polycarbonate skid plate as per goldhound, I go for the solid. With spoked you just get a bunch of stuff under the edge on top. IMO the regular skid plate for the spoked is a pain to tape off, but maybe I wasnt doing it right

• Like 2

Thank you so much for your replies, I have just purchased the 17"x13 NF Spoked, from a genuine NF dealer,  soon, l will be taking it to (Zimbabwe) Africa, will post my results. Again thanks for your replies.

Nigel M.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I had a GPX5000 with the spoked 17x13 NF Evolution coil. Absolutely brilliant bit of kit but I wished I had bought the solid as it used to get snagged on everything from sticks, to rocks and small bushes.

• Like 1