I converted my GBP (Clone) to a telescopic carbon handle version.

I used an carbon monopod for Camers (Rollei Citey traveller Mono bought for 20€). The grip, coil holder and arm rest parts were designed in Fusion 360.

I made the display flippable (first of all to make the screws work). Now it fits in every rucksack.

I'll upload the STL files to ThingyVerse next week.

Clipboard03.thumb.jpg.e08e54ecd3a9f22bb27d2bbf41261295.jpgClipboard01.thumb.jpg.9da7badd7673064f096a4677807d3d86.jpg20210110_173542b.thumb.jpg.dcc9451b4990ff1c2fd0bfe43b6034b2.jpg20210110_173537b.thumb.jpg.28565d964b72fc4e62c6bcbc18aba63f.jpg20210110_173525b.thumb.jpg.d872f969071373f29dcea73e8edb5656.jpg20210110_173456b.thumb.jpg.94e4e71f93b94d4b4d845d603e21ec18.jpg20210110_173441b.thumb.jpg.86f4249205e2ffa7eeecb1b9e245c728.jpgClipboard04.thumb.jpg.e85cef3c776d95cd81ad46a8d8ed17ca.jpg

• Like 4
  • Latzenpratz changed the title to Gold Bug Pro Carbon Telescopic Handle Conversion

Good job!!!!!!!!!!!!just my 2 cents when i did mine i realised the XP arm cup was 50% lighter........i havent work on mie for a while wanted to put the battery in the stem and remove the speaker

RR

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      And it really is amazing, a genuine innovation by XP that others have copied, but none better than the original. Many owners probably own an XP as much for this collapsing rod system as anything else. Just slide it down and pop in your pack. Here is a new video from Gary going into more detail....

• By PimentoUK
      In the thread about possible design improvements for the Equinox series, I said the breakdown of the three-piece shaft could be improved. It currently has two reasonably short upper parts, and one excessively long lower rod. To improve packing, the upper rods need to be a bit longer, and the lower rod shortened.
      Having done this exercise on my Fisher F75 shaft, I turned my design ideas to the Eqx.
      The upper rod obviously has the 'height', due to the control pod and lower stand, and this limits the compactness to 28cm / 11" in that direction. This is slightly larger than the coil, which measures 10.5" on its shortest diameter. The middle rod will pack diagonally, meaning it can be about 7cm / 2.5" longer than the upper rod. I also decided that the insertion overlaps of the lower rod, and the middle rod, could be reduced by a total of about 2.5cm / 1".
      So my design ended up with the upper shaft 2.5cm / 1" longer; the middle rod 2.5cm / 1" longer with 12mm / 0.5" less insertion; and the lower rod shortened by 80mm / 3.1" , with 12mm less insertion.
      Practically speaking, the upper rod was extended at the rear end with a bit of lathe work, with two new holes for the elbow-cup. The handgrip was moved back 2.5cm / 1", needing one new hole drilling. The middle rod was a bit more complex. I machined an extender piece that adds 33mm to the top end of the rod, trimmed 8mm off the insertion section, and moved the pip location hole 5mm towards the rod end. This makes the rod effectively 38mm longer, but only physically 25mm longer. Trimming 80mm off the carbon rod and making the new pip-hole 12mm closer to the end completes that job.
      The end result is the detector will pack in a 47cm x 28cm ( 18.5" x 11" ) space, see pic below.
      Individual rod lengths are: Upper = 47cm ; Lower & middle = 53.5cm ( 18.5" & 21" )
      I ultimately intend making a new upper rod, with a bend below the handgrip, offsetting the coil and lower rod sections, which will deal with the twisting issue that's been previously discussed here and elsewhere.

• By Frank M
      Hi there
      The first design
      Armrest for Minelab Vanquish.
      3D print, Material PETG

• By nickeldNdimed
      My arms are long and skinny. I have a good amount of slop when swinging that I would like to improve. Even with a jacket!
      I see some folks use padding on the cuff. Would like to see or get some ideas to try.  I know there is an option out there off the shelf but was looking for a DIY idea where I could customize to my arm if possible. Thanks. 
    • By Stu
      Hi, just though this was worth sharing as it turned out so well. A number of things happened to bring this together - the biggest one being having just bought an Equinox my neighbours changing their curtains for blinds. I ended up with 3x6ft lengths of wood curtain pole.
      I also (long story) smashed my right hand up some years ago in a bike crash - straight stem won't work for me. I had read the threads (various threads on straight vs S) and puzzled over the alloy pipe bending method. But then I already have a Mars universal shaft and took a closer look at this. After reading the thread on the  Garrett gizmo that screws into the end of the stem so the arm cup can be moved along I got to thinking some more - I don't own a Garrett but am always intrigued to read what others are up to.
      So the Mars universal shaft will come apart. Held by a holding screw and with some hard pushing and pulling the arm cup pole (I'll call it that) will release. I measured the length I needed, then by hand whittled the shape to Mars flat sided (not round). A tight fit and the holding screw back in place to hold. The strength of this part of the Mars hand grip (the bit under the hand grip) left me confident that it could cope with some pretty minimal stresses - like it would have to do anyway.
      The curtain pole hand whittled at the arm cup end, then drilled through with a slightly under size drill bit. I didn't note the size, but it waggled freely in the Equinox upper stem hole for the arm cup. As I drilled it I waggled the drill to make it a little splayed out (as is the shape of the plastic fitting in the arm cup bits).
      For the Equinox itself a similar blind hole, but on an angle (judged by eye) as per the angled shape of the Minelab underneath grip bit - and also drill waggled around to get the splayed out shape. Two lines of wood were whittled away to the correct diameter for the equinox and it lower grip to meet perfectly. It could be neatened up. I may spray it black.
      Some things considered were the Equinox grip needed to be far enough away from the Mars grip to allow fingers of winter (thick) gloved hands - and also the coil cable and head phone cable. The Mars shaft can be made to shorten - and in effect smash into the back of the Equinox unit. I would just put a wrap of tape around the release lever. I won't ever release it - I don't need to I have a long detector bag - but I guess somebody could.
      Weight for weight the wood pole is pretty light. I weighted the Minelab top piece of shaft, and my piece of wood was 14 grams heavier. 
      The next step (which I am waiting to arrive) is a proper Minelab Equinox lower stem end piece for the coil to go on, The Mars universal one is a bit narrow and this looks it will swap over fairly easily.  

• By tvr
      Today I went to shorten the rod by one notch to put the coil closer to my feet for water hunting. I have been hunting, both in and out of the water with a length more suited to wet sand sweeping. It was very difficult to get the locking mechanism loosened up so I could slide the rod. Same issue I've had before with similar locking mechanisms when used in salt water; particularly with fine sediment in the water.
      Please change to a different type of locking mechanism.
      The one in the first picture is the AQ, and I do not like it since it is already freezing up and took a lot of work to free it up. The second picture is an after market straight shaft with locks that work very well and don't freeze up. The last two pictures are of locks on my wife's shell / shark tooth scoop with the lock open and closed; this one works well and also does not freeze up after much sand and salt water use.