Time To Ring In The New Year!

Great finds, and one of these days I will find a ring (I hope). Good luck on your next outing.

2 hours ago, Againstmywill said:

One more thing...it was cold. The weather today in Florida was in the 50's!

You must be kidding me, cold? Here it has been in the low 30's if even 30, I have been hunting when it hit a high of 34 a couple of days ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am using my grandfathers Equinox 800 since he died, and no I have not found a ring yet.

I know that it is only a matter of time since I am still learning this unit, so I am happy with what I have already found. Except for the trash that is.

3 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

I am using my grandfathers Equinox 800 since he died, and no I have not found a ring yet.

Have you hunted parks? I have found that using the 15" on the Equinox helps me cover far more ground. I generally run on 17-18 sensitivity and 7 recovery. I'm not going for depth if I am looking for jewelry; I'm going for coverage. If you are hunting a very trashy site, your ears will cry out for mercy in 50 tones. Stick to a football or baseball field and find a place away from the stands where foil is generally thrown down. For gold, focus on solid, repeatable signals in the 6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13 range. Yes, gold can be outside of those numbers, but the law of averages can keep you from digging crazy amounts of trash. For larger silver, like a men's band, you will generally want to watch for a number close to a quarter or just a bit above. 

• Like 2

Yes I have been hunting parks and baseball fields, but do not have the 15" coil.

I have the stock 11" coil and most of my finds is with the sense at 18 with everything else on factory settings.

I will remember what you have stated and give it a try the next time I get a chance at another field.

Did you see the 23 cents I found a couple of days ago?

6 minutes ago, Valens Legacy said:

Yes I have been hunting parks and baseball fields, but do not have the 15" coil.

I have the stock 11" coil and most of my finds is with the sense at 18 with everything else on factory settings.

I will remember what you have stated and give it a try the next time I get a chance at another field.

Did you see the 23 cents I found a couple of days ago?

Yes, those were very nice finds that I would be happy with any day! Congrats!

What mode are you using? I hunt in Park 1 about 99% of the time. If you are not using 50 tones, I would suggest you use that, or assign the numbers I said just one tone so you dig everything in that range. I personally like the 50 tones for the information that can be aquirred by investigating the item from different directions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Againstmywill said:

What mode are you using?

I was using Park 1, because of where I was at. When I am at a farm house or field is when I have been using Field 1.

I find that the 800 does really good with the factory settings and I just do the ground balance and noise to it. I have never messed with the tones so I guess they are on 50 tones, and I have gotten used to all the chatter that comes with it.

16 hours ago, Againstmywill said:

One more thing...it was cold. The weather today in Florida was in the 50's!

Oh boo hoo!  :laugh:  Simon thinks that's too hot for gold detecting.  One thing I've found about the temps -- when the temps feel nice to us detectorists it also feels nice to other park/schoolgrounds/etc. users.

That sure is a chunky ring.  I'm surprised it didn't ID even higher, but I haven't gotten too much silver jewelry lately and what I've found has been small and not ring-shaped.  Maybe it wasn't oriented horizontally which would set up the best eddy-currents.  I've found lighter weight rings that hit higher than that.  Yours sure is a handsome piece and high quality find.

I agree that those two aluminum tokens are quite a random coincidence.  Probably made at the same facility from the same blanks.  Did you do any internet searching to find out what that Venus XX is all about?  Some kind of octogenarian cult?

First things first, The ring is awesome. As for the aluminium tokens.

The DeSoto Square token is from a Mall in Manatee County Florida built in 1973.

The Venus token (Krewe of Venus) is from a cultural awareness organization founded in 1965. They are based in Tampa, and as far as I can tell still operating on very little funds.

Hope this can help solve the mystery 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1