1941 Zippo

I searched out an area that had a house on it but no one could ever find a foundation. It was pretty close to a pond so there wasn't a cellar hole. I hunted for iron signals until I found a small flat area and a part of a stone footing. In that area I found this steel case ww1 zippo and old pocket knife in the same hole. Guessing the house was probably a summer cottage near the water and eventually just torn down.

Though not that valueble the history on the zippo lighter is pretty cool.

https://www.zippo.com/pages/then-now

Big thanks to Dogodog for doing some research on it.

285474889_Screenshot2021-01-10215754.jpg.171e75c58d2754b0d0ab249a86bac2e0.jpg

• Like 7

Great finds and good hunting for the foundation. The footing area I would be checking for sure and the path to the pond. Some of those ponds were used like a septic tank today, So don't run across any stinky coins.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 1

You probably recognized that knife -- quite common.  I have one (not found with a detector) that looks quite similar.  Here's a photo I downloaded from Google Images.

Barlow.jpeg.b589b836f8237b0fdf6d1551705844ab.jpeg

Note the striations on the handle grip.  Apparently these brand knives go back centuries but the plastic grips likely date it to the 20th Century, maybe mid-century.

That lighter sure is toasted, but always fun to find, IMO.  It's history for sure.

• Like 4

I knew it wasn't a Sherade or Case but couldn't remember the other older names. Spot on for the knife id. Might try to restore it as the blades look salvageable.

The area was hunted hard over the years so very rare to find a coin there now. Still lots of relics though.

• Like 1