I Think I Found A Meteorite?!?!

There are some pretty good resources online regarding meteorites. Do you know any professors over at Milsaps? Or maybe up at Oxford? Somebody who studies this stuff might grind off a corner to have a peep inside. (I'm no expert, but that looks a bit like slag in these pix.) Good luck! Pretty cool find.

• Like 3

It does not look like a meteorite to me, you can try a couple of easy tests like try to see if a magnet will stick to your rock, most meteorites will attract a magnet. Next take your rock and try to scratch the inside of your toilet bowl lid. You can use unfinished piece of porcelain tile if you have some, but see if a streak of color appears or not. Meteorites don't usually leave any streak. Good luck hope you find one!  ht 

• Like 3

Looks like slag, leftover product from smelting operations. Very common anywhere mining and smelting takes place, plus along railroads transporting smelter waste product.

https://www.ohiohistory.org/learn/collections/natural-history/natural-history-blog/2015/february-2015/fow-33-answer

In theory the stuff is worthless, but I found this guy trying to get the big bucks for some on eBay....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Green-Iron-Ore-Slag-Glass-7-pounds-/252951710637

• Like 4

When I was a kid in the 70's, we walked the old railroad tracks and found loads of those glass looking moon rocks. I wish I had kept some, But mom thought it was clutter. Sorry to say, but it looks just like slag. Keep on looking and asking You just might find the real thing.

• Like 2

The cut confirms what we knew its's a hunk of slag. Way to follow through with identification, keep in mind if you see bubbles or little holes you probably don't have a meteorite. The other thing i see most beginners post quite large rock suspects, when the real ones are usually quite small like the size of a golf ball not a softball, just a couple things to keep in mind. ht  

• Like 3