Follow The Drywashers "The Nuggetshooter's Bible", New Eighth Edition By Jim Straight

As I recall, Jim did put out some thin books/pamphlets titled or subtitled "Follow the Drywashers" long ago - maybe 1980's or 90's.  The one titled "Nugget Shooting Dry Placer Areas," that Steve mentioned is subtitled "Follow the Drywashers."  I believe I have another thin book that has "Follow the Drywashers" on it, but I can't find it.  I agree with Steve that there are no previous "Volumes" of the current  "Nugget Shooters Bible,"  and that Volume 3 is probably a combination of Jim's former books with new insight.  Nevertheless, a valuable resource for me.

• Like 1

Steve,

Did you follow the dry washers on your recent trip or where did you go?  What did you find?

Mitchel

Pretty sure it should more correctly be editions, not volumes - although new material is added at the back of each "volume". Jim told me some years ago that the original and only typed computer copy of the dry washers book had been lost (and that prompted me to make lots of extra copies of the files that form my book). That typed computer version is needed to edit it and add any new material. Jim said that no one really wanted to re-type his book, so they just re-printed the old part and then kept putting in additional addendum at the back to cover any new or updated material.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Evening all, 

I am having trouble finding a copy of Follow the Dry Washers Edition 3 Volume 8 2015 available for sale.  Rob Allison's website has them as out of stock.  

I can only assume that there is no chance there will ever be another re-print?  

Be great if it was made available as an ebook.  I guess with Jim's passing the family would have to give consent to this?  

Any help to obtain a copy at a price that doesn't involve selling a kidney would be most appreciated.  

NE.   

1 hour ago, Northeast said:

I am having trouble finding a copy of Follow the Dry Washers Edition 3 Volume 8 2015 available for sale.

Ouch.  I just looked for them at used.addall.com, figuring you could pick up an nice copy (maybe not 8th edition, but I don't know if they changed a huge amount from edition to edition).  Pretty sure I bought one (5th edition) a year ago for $10 or so.  Not anymore....  Reminds me of what happened to prices for Larry Sallee's Zip Zip.

I know nothing about copyright laws but I wonder if this could be a good candidate for (free) Google books.  As you mention, I guess you would have to get permission from copyright owner to do that, though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Northeast said:

Evening all, 

I am having trouble finding a copy of Follow the Dry Washers Edition 3 Volume 8 2015 available for sale.  Rob Allison's website has them as out of stock.  

I can only assume that there is no chance there will ever be another re-print?  

Be great if it was made available as an ebook.  I guess with Jim's passing the family would have to give consent to this?  

Any help to obtain a copy at a price that doesn't involve selling a kidney would be most appreciated.  

NE.   

For some reason I am under the impression that the publishing company owned the book rights.  I might be wrong and I hope that I am.

• Like 1

Thanks gents.  Even before Jim’s passing the prices were crazy and that was on second hand books. 

I can’t find new stock at all. 

I also know nothing about copyright laws and who owns what and where consent needs to come from.  I guess I am hoping one of the dealers on here may have been having discussions with the publisher hoping to restock their own shelves.  

I would prefer the most recent edition but if it comes up nought then I will settle for edition 7 - 2004. 

Hey Guys,

I was one of only a few guys that were selling Jim's 8th edition.  I had about 300-400 copies several years ago and they all sold out.  I tried to pressure the printer to re-print, they kept telling me if the demand was high enough they would.  I told them I would purchase 1,000 copies of the 8th edition in advance, but it still never convinced them to re-print.  We sold them like hotcakes for $29.95.  

In my opinion, probably one of the top 3 prospecting/metal detecting books anyone could own.  Good luck finding a copy now, I know a guy that rat holed about 10 copies and asked me if I wanted to buy them after Jim died for $100.00 each.  Na, sorry bud!