Follow The Drywashers "The Nuggetshooter's Bible", New Eighth Edition By Jim Straight

Thanks geof_junk.   I started reading that link and after a few pages realised it was 27 pages long 😯   I am happy to read all of it as I am sure there will be interesting stuff along the way, but was there a specific page/post that you were referencing?   

1 hour ago, geof_junk said:

Here is an old post by Jim on another forum that might be of interest.

Thanks for responding Rob. 

6 hours ago, Rob Allison said:

In my opinion, probably one of the top 3 prospecting/metal detecting books anyone could own.

This does not make it easier not to have a copy  🤣

Is there any chance that you would be approaching the publisher again?  Would a multi-dealer order help things?  The link to the thread that geof_junk provided mentioned Bill Southern was putting in an order for this book but that was a fair few years ago and I cannot find on his website that he actually sells any books now.  I recognise you are competitors but an order from yourself, Bill and Gerry might get it over the line?  

Out of interest, you mention 'Follow the dry washers' is in your top 3.  If you would indulge, which other 2 books make the list?  

Thanks for your time.  

NE.  

• Like 2

On 9/28/2019 at 3:54 AM, Northeast said:

Out of interest, you mention 'Follow the dry washers' is in your top 3.  If you would indulge, which other 2 books make the list?

I can't answer for Rob, but my number 1 pick would be Fists full of Gold by Chris Ralph.

38 minutes ago, Swegin said:

my number 1 pick would be Fists full of Gold by Chris Ralph. 

I’m guessing that might be one of them too 👍

And it is on my wish list. 

Chris RaIph’s Fist full of Gold would be my number 1...Chris more current than Mr Straight...

I owned Jim’s first edition , he will always be my prospecting hero. I have vol 3 Follow the Drywashers, the nuggetshooters bible... seventh edition...too bad you are in Oz.

Ray Mills wrote pretty good book...it is informative and rates 3 on my list.

fred

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

To answer your question, Jim Straight sold the book rights of the 8th edition, so the publisher owns them.  I tried to outright purchase the rights to the book, just so I could continue on Jim's Books.  The publisher didn't want to sell, but kept promising the re-print, but it never happened.  I committed to over 1,000 copies, most dealers wouldn't do that, as it could take a lifetime to sell that many realistically.  That being said, even with that size order, the publisher didn't even entertain the idea.  I doubt we will never see this book again, beyond maybe bootleg copies that someone might photocopy or something.  

As for book, my number # 1 is Jim's Nuggetshooter Bible.  Reason being, Jim worked on this book for over 15 years, adding information to each Volume over the years.  I still have one of the first Nuggetshooter bibles, signed by Jim that is only about half the size of the 8th edition.  

I agree, Chris Ralph's Fist Full of Gold is probably number 2 for me.  I guess since I have known Jim Straight for 30 years, it's hard to not be partial to his book(s).  Also, back in Jim's prime, he knew in my opinion more about the Western Caldera and how to really find gold nuggets in the Southwest like no other.  Jim would throw out small hints in many of his posts if you could understand them.  He would always tell me, Rob, did you really understand what I wrote ..... Jim was and always will be a Legend and Mentor to me.  God Bless you Jim, hopefully your publications, books, forum posts will never fade away.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rob Allison said:

To answer your question, Jim Straight sold the book rights of the 8th edition, so the publisher owns them.

Again Rob, thanks for answering 👍

It's a shame we may never see it again.  You would wonder how the publisher gets any benefit out of holding the rights to something that he never has any intention of doing anything with.  Even putting it on Amazon as an ebook would get them some return.  

Anyway, I'm about to hit the button on purchasing Chris Ralph's book so that will be a good start. 

Thanks again  😉