Follow The Drywashers "The Nuggetshooter's Bible", New Eighth Edition By Jim Straight

6 hours ago, Glenn in CO said:

I have vol 3 Follow the Drywashers, the nuggetshooters bible... fifth edition. Jim signed it "search systematically" and it is 240 pages.

Well, that's a revelation to me.  I have the 5th Edition, but mine is called Illustrated Field Edition.  It has 50 normally numbered pages plus about 10 roman numeraled intro pages.  The title page says Fifth Edition. Revised October 1997 First Printing 1,000 copies, Original Copyright 1988, First Printing 1984.  Size (closed) is 5.25" X 8.5".  Included (spine stapled) in the central crease is an even smaller (4.25" X 7.0") Prospecting and Detecting for Hard Rock Gold 16 page monograph.  In the Intro he says "now in October 1997..." and goes on to say "my sequel ADVANCED Prospecting and Detecting for Hard Rock Gold is strongly recommended for any serious students...."

I wasn't aware that the full edition has 4 times as many pages.  Guess that explains why I thought I got such a good price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Well, that's a revelation to me.  I have the 5th Edition, but mine is called Illustrated Field Edition.  It has 50 normally numbered pages plus about 10 roman numeraled intro pages.  The title page says Fifth Edition. Revised October 1997 First Printing 1,000 copies, Original Copyright 1988, First Printing 1984.  Size (closed) is 5.25" X 8.5".

My copy says Copyright 1992, Fifth Printing 2000 Copies, Revised 1994. The book measures 8.25" x 11.25".

Jim apparently had several different type of editions and revisions. Interesting!

So I have done this research before and to save everyone time, what you want is the 7th or 8th edition.  They are basically the same.   Jim put pictures in the eighth edition of a lot of prospecting friends that he had and a few websites that we all know about for buying detectors. So the seventh and the eighth additions are basically the same. Actually the seventh edition is a much better binded book and I would prefer the seventh or the eighth. If you get any of the lower additions they will not have the new information that was put in the seventh edition. Each addition built on itself just a little bit not much but a little bit more information.  So if you’re looking for everything that Jim put in his “follow the dry washers book” look for the seventh or eighth edition. There is no volume one or two that was just edition one and two.  The other two books he wrote “hard rock prospecting with a metal detector” and “three hours from gold” have different information in them. You really only need his three books.   The field guides he wrote too are part of all three of these books as well.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, afreakofnature said:

The other two books he wrote “hard rock prospecting with a metal detector” and “three hours from gold” have different information in them. You really only need his three books.

Thanks for that explanation, Freak.  But what about Magnificent Quest:  A guide to Prospecting and Nugget Shooting in the Desert (original edition 1990; I have 2009 update, but there apparently was also a 1998 version)?

Hey Guys,

Just to correct some information, there is more info in the 8th edition.  Please refer to this forum link below on my Rob's Detector Forum from Dec. 2015.  I quote the following -

https://forums.robsdetectors.com/topic/11756-jim-straights-new-nuggetshooters-bible-new-edition-volume-8/

Hello All,

Just a FYI, I will have the new Jim Straight's Nuggetshooter Bible, (probably edition 8), within the next few days. This book will have a new binder, new cover and an additional 30-40 pages of information. I got to see one of the first copies, very nicely done.

I believe this new book will be $34.95 at release.

I will have them listed on my site within the next couple of days.

Just a FYI and Thanks again Jim Straight!

Jim corrected me in the reply and stated 15 extra pages.  

I have compared it page by page.  I did not see 30-40 new pages of information. Edit: 15 is accurate.  The new info I found was a couple picture pages of buddies that he detected with over the ages and mainly websites.  I did not find any new geology interpretations, detector tips, search strats, etc.  Plus the 8th ed is Spiral bound with a lamented cover.  The 7th is more like a book binding, no hard cover though.

I will have to recheck Magnificent Quest but if I remember right it was more about surviving in the desert.  Still a good read.

I am not saying that Jim’s read are bad or anything its one of the best!  I put Chris Ralph’s Fists Full of Gold at the top though.

• Like 1

Hey Afreakofnature,

Ya, I was incorrect when I said 30-40 pages, as with Jim and I talking back in forth many years ago, he wanted to add that many more pages.  However, like you mentioned, it was around 15 pages.  

I have many copies of Magnificent Quest.  It's more about different stories and adventures, but a good read if you like Jim's books and writing style.  

No question, Jim Straight & Chris Ralph wrote great books.  I still sell all of Jim's beyond the 8th Edition and Fist Full of Gold by Chris Ralph.