Just now reading Ridge Runner's contest (I know , it's over!), I noticed some comments mentioned looking for one.......

I live in my RV so inverters (and solar) are in my wheelhouse ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !

I am partial to the pure sine wave (PSW)  type as the sensitive electronics like computers (or a Nox) , are often a bit "gun shy" around the modified sine wave (MSW) units.

I just got a Renogy 700watt PSW inverter last summer and am very impressed with it. ANNNND  My Nox seems to like it too.

A bit more power than the prize unit but it will charge two detectors including headphones at the same time. with power to spare. ( A good thing.)

(I won't mention my old inverter as it sucked slime water from the Black Lagoon .... OK,  it released the "magic smoke" )

• Like 1

RvPopeye

I keep a small inverter in my car are truck because you just don’t know when you may need that little power house. I’ve got one a friend gave me years back and it’s I believe 800 watts. I used it in a home made camping trailer. I had a cable ran back off my truck to the trailer to charge the two batteries to run the inverter while driving.

. Your light weight generator is nothing more than a inverter . You can buy a regular generator lots cheaper but hurt your back moving it around.

I’ve yet to have trouble with one.

Chuck 

• Like 1

RR

Not trying to derail the thread just it was mentioned in a few posts and was  throwing it in to make that recc.

I'm not putting down MSW inverters. (My black lagoon one was a PSW type...LOL)

Your prize is a great idea and very a generous  one too. (And I may steal your idea in the future !)

I have fried a laptop supply brick on one though ...and have seen reports from others experiencing the same.

The switching type chargers typical today sometimes don't play well with a MSW inverter. So I shy away from MSW for sensitive electronic devices.

Thinking about it more the Nox power supply is a built in USB so only risking the outboard device , which are relatively cheap.    It does work for some of them but may be a cumulative  effect type thing too.   I don't know what other detectors use to charge though so throwing this in for a heads up JIC.

Things that use AA or 9v  batteries are exempt  (except for the charger if you use rechargables) . 

I've had a 400w MSW in the rig for years (and fried that brick on it.) So now use it for "less important" devices..

Thus the reason for my recc here.  Hopefully it wasn't too out of line...I'm sure Steve has enough to do without moving things around.... I almost didn't post this but felt a bit of a warning was required .

RR

Sorry I forgot you mentioned something about a generator. To clear that up..

The Renogy isn't a generator , just a PSW inverter.

I do have a Honda EU2000i genny (with a PSW built in) though....

OK , back to our story.....