Minelab GPX 6000 Revealed!

I'm not overly impressed to part with my gpx5000. I like detectors to have ability to fine tune for various conditions, not overly simplistic such as the monster. Don't get me wrong, I love my monster but I do wish it was more adjustable for different conditions. As for me, I will take the versatility of the 5000 with this beast.lol

IMG_20210111_131649494.jpg

IMG_20210112_055635713.jpg

IMG_20210111_130710587_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210111_131020940_HDR.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Looks like there is a double D mode but only mono coils supplied as standard which suggests its compatible with current GPX coils.

• Like 1

Damn it....I want one!  NOT Reeses' garbage can lid, one of those 6000's.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

With the Mono coils provided as standard equipment and no mention of iron reject, I suspect iron reject is not an included feature and possibly also not compatible with legacy GPX coils (ML or 3rd party).  If that is the case, it won’t be very popular with the relic hunter crowd other than the fact that it does appear to be lighter, weatherproof, and no cables flopping about.  If it had/has iron reject and legacy GPX DD coil compatibility - no brainer for me, there would be a used GPX 4800 up on the classifieds board tomorrow.  But without it, would have to wait for a highly discounted, lightly used “oops why did I buy this?” unit.

23 hours ago, phrunt said:

I don't think the GPX 6000 is for me

But Simon, it has a built-in loudspeaker!  :smile:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Simon - There are good detectorists in any part of the world, no one disputes that, that's missing the point though. 

The country-wide literacy rate in some of these African gold rush areas can be very low. 60% in Sudan, 40% in Somalia, from a quick Google. So, English, Arabic or other native language driven menus and manuals might be a barrier to learning and operating a machine. The obvious solution is to make machines as simple as possible, reduce controls, and use symbols instead of language in order to be usable by as many potential customers as possible. I know native English speakers that have been running a 5000 for 10 years and still don't really understand what the settings do as well as they could. Imagine the struggle for a potential new customer in rural Sudan who cannot read, has never owned a detector, and might not even own a computer or other technology which they can abstract understanding from to figure out the detector?

The GM1000, SDC, and to a lesser extent the GPZ all show a pretty clear trend towards simplifying operation. Clearly with the early Middle East/Africa releases and stuff like the Arabic script on the GM, these machines are being marketed with an eye towards these markets and the customers that live and work there.

The no-threshold option and the auto adjusting sensitivity seems to fit in with those patents I posted in the other thread. It appears some stuff from the patents is not in this 6000 though too, so we might have a very early look into some features of the next GPZ as well, who knows...

• Like 3

I'll be adopting a wait and see approach to this one.

I'm after a third detector to always have a spare when we are miles from nowhere. However, this might have too much irrelevant crap on it for my liking, such as wireless headphones, which I will never use, and possibly too much " automation ".

I'm expecting it to sit midway in pricing between a 5000 and ZED, so it won't be cheap either !

A good used 5000 might be in order, to complement our 4500, and ZED with X coils !

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 7

I'm not going to jump on this one on day 1 of release either. But I am going to try to get a dealer to let me give it a test run, and if I like it and it's affordable, I may pick one up.

I'd really like to see how this machine does in salt. I'm kinda tired of my 4500 but I keep it for wet salt areas.

Can't help but notice the complete lack of a bungee in the unboxing. 🙂 And like SImon, I love the speaker. 

• Like 2