Minelab GPX 6000 Revealed!

44 minutes ago, araratgold said:

I'll be adopting a wait and see approach to this one.

I'm after a third detector to always have a spare when we are miles from nowhere. However, this might have too much irrelevant crap on it for my liking, such as wireless headphones, which I will never use, and possibly too much " automation ".

I'm expecting it to sit midway in pricing between a 5000 and ZED, so it won't be cheap either !

A good used 5000 might be in order, to complement our 4500, and ZED with X coils !

Cheers,
Rick

I'm expecting it to sit between the GPX5000 & GPZ7000 also Rick but hopefully not to much above a 5000! It looks to have lost a lot of functionality (to much automation) to me to be priced much over a 5000? But it's early days yet & I'll be watching intently as more info comes to light.

I know the GPX4500/5000 are old school in design but I hope they keep the GPX5000 in the line up for a while yet. If the current DD, Mono & Concentric coils can't be used on the GPX6000 then I can see a fair few not wanting to upgrade unless it was something very special performance wise. The modernisation is nice but not essential IMO. I'll be keeping the 4500 for now at least. Might change as more info is released?

I think Minelab have shown us their future direction in PI/ZVT detectors with a clear break up of their "modernised", but in a lot of areas still could be better, machines:

- Basic/entry level SDC2300> future models could be improved on.

- Mid-range GPX6000> ??????

- Advanced GPZ7000> future models could be improved on.

• Like 1

The early bird catches the worm but also its the second mouse that eats the cheese.

Always a bit of a conundrum when new technology comes out as to whether you should jump in straight away or wait and see.

My swinging shoulder is not the best so the light weight would be appreciated. The 6000 headphones look good and i really like going cordless. Automatic tuning is a big bonus for me -  will save a lot of time in field trying to optimise set up of the GPX - and i am happy with the technology doing this. I will be keeping the GPX4500 as a spare so im not too fussed if the old coils do not fit.

I think the GPX6000 will bring some fun back into my gold prospecting - light weight & easy to use.

I'm in.

• Like 3

They main aspect for me is performance. Does Geosense-PI have an advantage over MPF or ZVT, and if so, in what situations? I don't mind the reduced settings options, got used to it with the SDC and the GM.  The GPZ will remain my ultimate machine in the open field and I would never give it up, neither the SDC. But perhaps the 6000 will fit into a niche that is complimentary to both. But one thing is for sure, I will keep the threshold on. Reduced weight is a huge plus! 🙂

• Like 1

Maybe the advantage is that  Geo Sense PI will be different to MPF and ZVT - it will pick up targets that these two technologies can't. Just a thought.

Will be interesting to see if Minelab recommends running with or without a threshold.

If the new GPX 6000 will replace the two previous PI detectors for sensitivity and range on small and large gold ... then I see some good progress in that ... Automation of settings according to the terrain .... that's the future of detection ...- who would did not want the excellent PI detector "Turn on and Detect"? The construction of the detector looks like it is durable, in the specification it is called waterproof against rain .. ... Finally, the first tests show ... what detection results can show GPX6000 .. I think it will be the most important ..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, VicR said:

The early bird catches the worm but also its the second mouse that eats the cheese.

I really like that one! 😁 Exactly to the point. So let's be an early bird, but not the very first...😉

Seriously: I don't think, Minelab desinged a "trap", they are just too good for that. But it really could be, that their market analysis showed up a large market for high-end detectors for non-experienced prospectors, so they included that "feature" in the design roadmap. But fore sure, power was also a factor.

This points towards sophisticated balancing algorithms with machine learning technologies. I'm an engineer (optics & metrology) and all this machine learning stuff is a big topic for us. So I wouldn't be surprised, if the GPX6000 will be a big leap regarding machine learning algorithms for gold detectors. It's the logical conclusion, if you combine ease-to-use, more power and latest technology achievements. That would make sense from point of view of an engineer. But thanks god, we are not all engineering-nerds, so maybe I'm completely wrong 🙃. Anyway, I'm pretty curious...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, And said:

But it really could be, that their market analysis showed up a large market for high-end detectors for non-experienced prospectors, so they included that "feature" in the design roadmap. But fore sure, power was also a factor.

I wonder if the "experienced" detectorist always needs that many settings to play with. Take a look at the SDC. Practically no settings and yet it is being used by beginners and advanced detectorists alike. This is because the SDC is a specialized detector that is nearly perfect for certain ground and terrain conditions. Who knows, perhaps the 6000 outperforms all other machines under certain conditions (that yet need to be revealed....). One never fits all 🙂

• Like 3