Minelab GPX 6000 Revealed!

10 minutes ago, araratgold said:

Also, there appears to be no provision to run speakers like we can with the ZED and current GPX's, as it doesn't have a wireless module !

Huh?  It has a built in loud speaker and low latency bluetooth from which you can run a loudspeaker on your person if you wish.  You can actually plug a portable loudspeaker into the supplied wireless headphone's wired jack and use the phones as the BT receiver resting on your neck wired to a speaker or you can get one of the matchbox sized BT receiver/transmitters (they cost all of $25US) and plug a speaker in to that. Lots of options.

Actually, I am surprised that ML didn't try to cram another non-cross-compatible Wi-Stream module down our throats.  Looks like there is not going to be a WM 14 -good riddance.  ML must be moving away from Wi Stream for some reason.

• Like 1

When I see GeoSense I don't see location like a GPS, I see Geology.  Like GeologySense.  I don’t think anyone has said that yet.  To me that makes a little more sense in regard to ground balance.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, afreakofnature said:

When I see GeoSense I don't see location like a GPS, I see Geology.  Like GeologySense.  I don’t think anyone has said that yet.  To me that makes a little more sense in regard to ground balance.

Based on he videos and the description of features that have been posted, that is pretty much what people are concluding.  It was apparent there was no location-based feature on board.

• Like 1

I have always thought that the "Geo"  referred to geology rather than positioning. Its only now that you mention it that i understand why everyone was talking about positioning when Geo-sense PI was first discussed. Interesting how people interpret names differently.

• Like 1

Re: Geosense - that's what I've been saying from the start, and explaining in detailed depth in many posts regarding their patents. 🙂

Re: incremental improvements - I really felt that the GPZ marked a turn in the road there honestly, it was more than incremental improvement. And I expect the trend to continue, which is why I was following the 6000 closely. I'm a little let down I guess, but no one knows how this thing actually performs in the field yet so I think it's too early to draw conclusions.

But on that subject, the amount of performance gain that coils can give the GPZ (I've said numerously that it feels like a next level up machine) makes me wonder if something like a 7500 was planned with nothing more than better coils originally, to milk the technology. Eh, who knows.

The shaft length is a let down, it really looked longer than the GPZ in the first videos. I'm 6ft and I detect with the shaft fully extended already. I know some guys that are 6'2, 6'3... Not sure why on Earth they'd make the shaft even shorter...

Love the providing 2 batteries though. Finally, that's great to see. Really hope they do USB-C charging in the next model though, or whatever USB is most common with phones at the time.

• Like 2

So I think that this detector might be geared more to the Middle East area and one reason is the shaft length.  If you look up the average height for people in that region it’s right around 5’ 6” to 5’ 8”.  But if you take a look at people that live in areas that are further north, such as Europeans, they are around 5’ 10” to 5’ 11”.  Just an observation.

Max. Shaft lengths

GPX5000  51.2"

GPZ7000  60.1"

GPX6000  57.0"

Therefore the 6000 is longer than the 5000 but shorter than the 7000. Im sure ML will have a reason for the GPX6000 shaft length. Maybe to make it longer they would have had to beef up the shaft with a corresponding weight increase or balance issue.

10 minutes ago, VicR said:

Max. Shaft lengths

GPX5000  51.2"

GPZ7000  60.1"

GPX6000  57.0"

Therefore the 6000 is longer than the 5000 but shorter than the 7000. Im sure ML will have a reason for the GPX6000 shaft length. Maybe to make it longer they would have had to beef up the shaft with a corresponding weight increase or balance issue.

The big thing with the previous GPX's is that longer aftermarket shafts are readily available.

Why the hell do Minelab persist with shafts that they know are too short for people over about 5'10" ?????????? How freakin difficult is it to supply a better length shaft ?

Rick

Completely unrelated, but I looked at the website of one of those dealers posting the early GPX 6000 videos, and unless I'm mistaken, isn't that Gerry on their photo page, 5 down from the top, on the right? They just snag random pictures off the internet or Gerry do you have some Dubai connections? 🙂

• Haha 1