Minelab GPX 6000 Revealed!

I was thinking about beach work - it says "all soils" so it should work. As soon as i get mine i will give it a go in the wet sand.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VicR said:

still 3 big questions to be answered - price, coil construction / compatibility and what is Geo Sense PI.

and 4, does it work?

• Haha 1

Good Point. But Price, coil construction / compatibility and what is Geo Sense PI will have definitive answers. While "Does it work" will be subjective - opinions will range from its the best detector to its the worst detector, which i think is already happening even before we know everything about it or have had some real world testing - which is fine because everyone is entitled to their unique opinion and im sure opinions over time will change both ways.

4 hours ago, VicR said:

It looks like Minelab has gone all out in reviewing the design of the 6000 to keep weight down. Full carbon fibre shaft, integrating stand into the battery, plastic housing right down to only having the one nut holding the coil on. they must have look at each component and asked do we really need it and if the answer is yes how do we make it lighter.  I just wonder whether having one nut / bolt on the coil will be strong enough with the thread on the nutless (is that a word?) side taking all the pressure to make it secure. Has this been done before? Anyway this and some peoples preference for a longer shaft can be taken care of by the aftermarket people.

still 3 big questions to be answered - price, coil construction / compatibility and what is Geo Sense PI.

I wonder if we went to the Minelab design lab would we find all their staff to be under 170 cm tall ?

They put so much time into R & D but they miss some of the important details , i am 195 cm tall and thats okay as long as minelab let us know 12 months in advance that we need to get our legs surgically shortened by 5 inches because it will take 12 months of rehab to recuperate.

But thats okay minelab ...... small price for us to pay so you can save 30 cents on carbon fibre tubing.

The other curious thing coming from engineers is why they dont move the battery mass further back behind where the elbow would be so it acts as a counterweight to balance the coil.

Any half decent engineer would consider that before his first morning coffee.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Donga said:

i am 195 cm tall and thats okay as long as minelab let us know 12 months in advance that we need to get our legs surgically shortened by 5 inches because it will take 12 months of rehab to recuperate.

It's designed for the Middle East, where users will be paddling about in 5" deep sand.

they think of everything do Minelab 👍 `

1 minute ago, egixe4 said:

It's designed for the Middle East, where users will be paddling about in 5" deep sand.

they think of everything do Minelab 👍 `

shall i sue them for racial discrimination ?  🤣

19 minutes ago, Donga said:

I wonder if we went to the Minelab design lab would we find all their staff to be under 170 cm tall ?

They put so much time into R & D but they miss some of the important details , i am 195 cm tall and thats okay as long as minelab let us know 12 months in advance that we need to get our legs surgically shortened by 5 inches because it will take 12 months of rehab to recuperate.

But thats okay minelab ...... small price for us to pay so you can save 30 cents on carbon fibre tubing.

The other curious thing coming from engineers is why they dont move the battery mass further back behind where the elbow would be so it acts as a counterweight to balance the coil.

Yep, I have been griping about Minelab's short shafts for 20 years, but they just don't give a damn !

You could say we have been shafted !

Rick

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Donga said:

So you have handled a 6000 to see how it balances? You consider it a fail in that department? What else can you tell us?

• Like 6

I for one can't wait until I can get my hands on a 6000.

Light and compact and it will definitly be an upgrade in detection ability over the 5000 as minelab has never let me down in this department...

I sold my wife Amber's 5000 in December before the 5000 price dropped she can't wait until its released and the wetseason is over!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

So you have handled a 6000 to see how it balances? You consider it a fail in that department? What else can you tell us?

Okay i didnt handle a GPX6000 but i have handled GPZ , GPX5000 , GP3000 , SD2200 , 705 and i have considered making up extensions shafts to swing the battery further back on some because the ergonomics really pissed me off.

I did make up aftermarket Li-ion batteries and mounted them to the 5000 to get rid of the cable but it gave me the shitz for other reasons and i sold it last year.

You will probably get hold of one before i do so you can let us all know 😉

• Like 2