Apex #3 Is On The Way. Now I Only Wish For A New, Small, Garrett Coil

Monte

My primary-use Garrett Apex sports the excellent 5X8 DD 'Ripper' coil that is ideal for most of the places I like to hunt, in town or rural and remote.  On my 2nd Apex I keep the really functional 8½X11 DD 'Raider' coil mounted for working plowed fields, similar range-land, or wide-open / sparse-target parks and similar places.    I ordered my 3rd Apex just to keep the smallest search coil mounted where it needs to fit in and around and between dense brush, rocks, building rubble, etc., etc.  For now I am going to mount the new NEL 5" 'Sharp' DD coil because that is the smaller coil currently available for the Apex.

I've been hoping for them to offer their functional 4½" Concentric coil, if it is designable for the Apex.   It can be worked on the single-frequency models and i am hoping it can be made to work on the Apex.  I like smaller 4½ to 5" coils to get in and around really tight cover, especially Relic Hunting older sites.  Plus I would like it to be a Concentric coil deign for the Apex in that smaller-size.  I have used DD coils as well since 1971, and while I have DD coils now for my three Apex, and on my V-540 and Simplex +,  I have Concentric coils o my XLT, F5 and two favorite Tesoro models.

There's a time and a place where both coil types have some advantages, so I'll keep hoping.  I'm curious how many Garrett users currently make use of the 4½" Concentric coil on which models, and do any of you have a desire for one for the Apex?

Monte

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Apex #3 Is On The Way. Now I Only Wish For A New, Small, Garrett Coil

I have the 4.5" Super Sniper for both my T Max and older CXII. They are good specialty coils. If you know their strengths & limitations. I have the small coils for the Anfibio & Vista X also. My next planned hunt is a hard worked nail bed at an old horse race track. The recent heavy rain has washed the Iron halo out of the sandy soil and I'm hoping to be able to find some more good targets due to soil conditions. I will use the small coils and very low Tone break, no Disc.

• Like 1

I don't think you can go wrong with the smaller DD coil from Nel, they make some really great coils. I'm a huge fan of concentric coils and would love to see more options from all the Mfg's. I still run my 5'' Campadre and love it. Recently I picked up a superfly for my Kruzer and can't believe the performance over factory. Glad to see you are enjoying the Apex. I wish you good luck with the new set up.

Small concentrics are great where there are beds of bottle caps. Medium and larger DD's work fine for me. Had my eyes on the Apex but it lacks an all metal mode. Waiting for next gen AT series. Just ordered a 10x13 Mars for my AT Pro for fields to replace my cracked/repaired stock.

I would think the tiny dd's would work well for jewelry in parks, should have plenty of sensitivity on the Apex.

12 hours ago, JCR said:

I have the 4.5" Super Sniper for both my T Max and older CXII. They are good specialty coils. If you know their strengths & limitations. I have the small coils for the Anfibio & Vista X also. My next planned hunt is a hard worked nail bed at an old horse race track. The recent heavy rain has washed the Iron halo out of the sandy soil and I'm hoping to be able to find some more good targets due to soil conditions. I will use the small coils and very low Tone break, no Disc.

I borrowed an AT MAX w/4½" 'Sniper', and way back twenty years ago I had a GTI 2500 with on, and had one for a 1350.  And that's the point I like to note is that the 4½" Concentric coil has been around or a long, long time or almost every model in their line-up.  That's why I'd like to have one for the new APEX.  Especially since it is a Concentric type design.

I have / have-had the out-of-round 5" for a Nokta CoRe and Makro Racer, a 5" for a Nokta Relic and Makro Racer 2, pus the Impact, Multi-Kruzer  and Anfibio Multi.  A 5" on a Fisher F44, F19 and F5, as well as a slightly larger 5¾" on the Vista 'X'.  But every one of those is a Double-D design.  I really want to see the Concentric coil continue in the Garrett product line.

Monte

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dogodog said:

I don't think you can go wrong with the smaller DD coil from Nel, they make some really great coils. I'm a huge fan of concentric coils and would love to see more options from all the Mfg's.  I still run my 5'' Campadre and love it. Recently I picked up a superfly for my Kruzer and can't believe the performance over factory. Glad to see you are enjoying the Apex. I wish you good luck with the new set up.

I've seen good performance with a NEL 5" 'Sharp' and 'Snake' on a couple of models, and the new Super Fly on a Tek. T2+.  Due to winter and my recent / current battle with some health issues, I have only been able to check out the NEL Sharp on the Apex briefly.  So far it is working OK.  However, I am going to be checking it out soon in a salt water environment because I hear the Apex and some NEL coils were not working well in the Multi-Salt function.  I need detectors AND coils that are fully functional.

Not sure what 5" you are referring to for a Tesoro Compadre???  Do you mean the thin-profile coil that advertised as a 5.75?  Dumb marketing like White's used because that coil is what I keep on all three of my Tesoro's full-time, and it measures almost exactly right at 6" diameter.

Yes, I am definitely enjoying the new Apex.  It is more detector than some have given it credit for, and I especially like the 'Ripper' and 'Raider' coils for different applications.  I'll mount the NEL Sharp on the new Apex I have coming, but sure hope Garrett can make the 4½" Concentric work on the MF Apex.  Thanks for the well wishes.

Monte

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kac said:

Small concentrics are great where there are beds of bottle caps. Medium and larger DD's work fine for me. Had my eyes on the Apex but it lacks an all metal mode. Waiting for next gen AT series. Just ordered a 10x13 Mars for my AT Pro for fields to replace my cracked/repaired stock.

I would think the tiny dd's would work well for jewelry in parks, should have plenty of sensitivity on the Apex.

Both Concentric and Double-D types have their strengths and weaknesses.  Just so many blasted DD's on the market that I'd enjoy having a Garrett 4½" Concentric for the Apex.  Yes, the smaller DD's can do okay for jewelry and such, but so can the smaller Concentric coils.  I am enjoying the Apex devices, and at times I do wish they had a Threshold-based All Metal mode, but your AT Pro doesn't have All Metal, either.

Yes, the Apex has a good deal of 'Sensitivity' and performance-level engineering.  Dollar-for-dollar it is a really good unit.

Monte

• Like 1

If your looking for a excellent larger coil the SuperFly is available for the Apex

https://www.metaldetector.com/nel-super-fly-11-x-12-dd-search-coil-for-garrett-ace-apex?___SID=U

If I bought an Apex I think I would get the z-link headphones, wireless carrot and the SuperFly along with the stock smaller dd.

I have that coil on my MK and don't think I will be taking it off any time soon. I do want to mention for heavy woods hunting care should be taken as it isn't as robust as the other Nel coils.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kac said:

If your looking for a excellent larger coil the SuperFly is available for the Apex

https://www.metaldetector.com/nel-super-fly-11-x-12-dd-search-coil-for-garrett-ace-apex?___SID=U

If I bought an Apex I think I would get the z-link headphones, wireless carrot and the SuperFly along with the stock smaller dd.

I have that coil on my MK and don't think I will be taking it off any time soon. I do want to mention for heavy woods hunting care should be taken as it isn't as robust as the other Nel coils.

A large-than-stock coil is something I very seldom, ever, put to use.  If something slightly different in size, I might consider it.  I have a new NEL Super Fly I need to sell for a T2 because a fellow bought the T2+ w/5" DD specifically for gold nugget hunting.  But when I tested the Super Fly here indoors against the 11" BiAxial, the Super Fly was very quiet regarding EMI.  The weight and balance and feel are exceptional!

But for my Apex hunting needs, a "bigger-size coil" is actually their own 8½X11 'Raider' coil.  It worked well and I keep it mounted full-time on Apex #2 just to be ready for plowed fields and other open-areas with minimal trash.

And that is exactly how I have all three of my Apex devices .... with their own MS-3 wireless headphones and their own AT ProPointer w/Z-Lynk technology.  When i grab a particular Apex with h coil mounted I want to use, I just open the tot and use the headphones and ProPointer that are ready and paired to that device.

Monte

• Like 1

How hard is it to re-pair between devices? I can easily change my paired headphones and pp between the Gold Racer and Multi Kruzer. Guessing it is a similar process?

Not that I need another machine but might get an Apex this spring.