Hello From North Carolina!

scdoc22

Hello, everyone. My name’s Greg and I’m a metal detector in Catawba County NC. If anyone else is from the area I would love to meet up for a hunt. For your viewing pleasure, I’ve attached a nice little flat button I found yesterday at an early 1800s site I have permission on. 

D0A857B0-EFA5-4CD1-8A5E-1FD71E0E57F4.jpeg

• Like 7

• The title was changed to Hello From North Carolina!

Welcome doc, Nice button. It shouldn't be to hard to find someone close by, We have members everywhere. Keep posting the finds, we love to see new stuff.

Weclome, Greg!  You've hit the ground running by posting a picture of one of your finds.  I do see some embossing (leaves) on that presumably reverse side.  Was the other face plain?

Hello Greg,

Welcome! Nice button, please show the other side! We have alot of members in NC. So finding a buddy, or a club shouldn't be hard! Good luck!👍👍

On 1/14/2021 at 8:40 AM, GB_Amateur said:

Weclome, Greg!  You've hit the ground running by posting a picture of one of your finds.  I do see some embossing (leaves) on that presumably reverse side.  Was the other face plain?

The other side is plain. At the top of the reverse is what appears to be a mini version of the great seal eagle. Best I have been able to tell, it appears to be 1812-1827 timeframe. But I’m quite inexperienced with buttons

Here are a couple close ups of the same button. Also, if any of  you can help with identification (manufacturer, date confirmation, etc.) I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not very knowledgeable of buttons. Enjoy

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

• Like 2

Tough one to find. Hard to tell if there was anything on the front or if it was just plain. Seems most military buttons had something on the front and button maker on the back. Yours has laurel leaves and something above for the maker.

My hunch is it is pre civ war. Civ war buttons are for the most part 2 piece and have double rings with makers info going around. Maybe war of 1812? Maybe naval?

Nice find.

On 1/13/2021 at 8:45 AM, scdoc22 said:

Hello, everyone. My name’s Greg and I’m a metal detector in Catawba County NC. If anyone else is from the area I would love to meet up for a hunt. For your viewing pleasure, I’ve attached a nice little flat button I found yesterday at an early 1800s site I have permission on. 

D0A857B0-EFA5-4CD1-8A5E-1FD71E0E57F4.jpeg

I live in Rockingham County. Nothing here to hunt but pulltabs, can slaw, and clad if you are lucky. The climate towards metal detecting around here has sure became unfriendly.  I sure hope you have it better there in Catawba County.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1