Look's close to me. Send some good photos to a good numismatist. Or start your own TV show, Calabash island Ha Ha. It's to bad its missing a piece. Great find no doubt.

• Like 3

Certainy looks to be. I bet some Spaniard was mighty ticked off to lose that 500 years ago.

• Like 1

It sure looks like it, and it is way older than anything I have found so far.

Good work and good luck.

• Like 1

...Maradevis found by Calabash .... bears the mark "S-P - the Mint of Santo Domingo ...

http://www.coinfactswiki.com/wiki/Santo_Domingo_(1516-55)_4_maravedis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maravedí

In any case, Maradevis found by Calabash .. we can mark it as a very old mintage of ..American origin..and we can say that it detects in older territories ..

It ......will also be interesting to watch further, ...what other interesting signals it will find in these places....👍

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During my time of detection, I have already ... detected a sufficient number of Maravedis ... And because they are of different quality, size and shape ... which changed greatly during the time period of minting these coins..some may also look like an ordinary piece of copper sheet metal ... and some other Maravedis are still really nice coins ..

IMG_20210114_151413.jpg

• Like 8
5 hours ago, calabash digger said:

1530 TO 1570 first coin minted for the Americas... I am stoked to say the least. 

Is this the oldest coin minted in the New World?  If so that's a personal category record you (or anyone else) will never beat!  Nice!!

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By mrm0rgan
      a friend of mine found these up in the hills of oregon.  they say from what I've read that obsidian cannot be this red maybe a orange brownish mahogany color but this is not slag its bright red has some black in it some dark purples. if not obsidian and not slag then what is it???? the darker piece is small maybe 2 inches the other two are the size of two adult males fist. somebody please tell me what they are. 

• By mn90403
      We've all seen them.  There are these pages that make you click and show you treasure and say greatest ...
      This link is to a site that shows mostly the best finds from the UK.  I learned a new way to rank the finds by viewing these.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/metal-detectors-led-to-these-stunning-treasures/ss-BB1esUcZ?li=BBnbklE 
    • By oneguy
      Out detecting the other day and had a signal on the Monster that sounded like your typical hot rock but when I dug the hot rock out it didn't look like my typical hot rocks in this area?  So I took the time to flip the rock over and ran the coil over the other side of the rock and the Monster said GOLD!  So after some scraping I see nothing and I'm too busy hunting and throw the rock in my pouch to bust it open later at home.  Needed to go into my pouch for something tonight and found the rock I'd already forgot about and scraped the piss outta it and saw nothing, ran coil over scrapings and the rock and still a gold signal but no sight of gold?  Took rock inside and took the steel wool to it and finally saw the glint of a little gold so proceeded scrubbing cautiously and found the little flake.  This guy almost got away.  Moral of the story...if it sounds like gold you might want to pack it home for a THOROUGH check.....

• By Rick N. MI
      Found this brass tire stem and cap down deep. I don't know what it is off of or how old it could be. Strange it was in the water.

• By Carol Reynolds
      Can any of you tell me what this is?  A gift from my father when I was young.  He traveled all over the world so his location does not help.  It is about the size of a large hand.

• By And
      Hello detector-prospector friends,
      I had the honor to interview the finder-family of the legendary "Ambrosha-Nugget", found 1983 in Sierra County, California.
      Enjoy!