Look's close to me. Send some good photos to a good numismatist. Or start your own TV show, Calabash island Ha Ha. It's to bad its missing a piece. Great find no doubt.

• Like 3

Certainy looks to be. I bet some Spaniard was mighty ticked off to lose that 500 years ago.

• Like 1

It sure looks like it, and it is way older than anything I have found so far.

Good work and good luck.

• Like 1

...Maradevis found by Calabash .... bears the mark "S-P - the Mint of Santo Domingo ...

http://www.coinfactswiki.com/wiki/Santo_Domingo_(1516-55)_4_maravedis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maravedí

In any case, Maradevis found by Calabash .. we can mark it as a very old mintage of ..American origin..and we can say that it detects in older territories ..

It ......will also be interesting to watch further, ...what other interesting signals it will find in these places....👍

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During my time of detection, I have already ... detected a sufficient number of Maravedis ... And because they are of different quality, size and shape ... which changed greatly during the time period of minting these coins..some may also look like an ordinary piece of copper sheet metal ... and some other Maravedis are still really nice coins ..

IMG_20210114_151413.jpg

• Like 7
5 hours ago, calabash digger said:

1530 TO 1570 first coin minted for the Americas... I am stoked to say the least. 

Is this the oldest coin minted in the New World?  If so that's a personal category record you (or anyone else) will never beat!  Nice!!

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Gerry in Idaho
      Recently I shared one of the most unique gold nuggets I've ever seen and the post with a video is below.  I also shared it on FaceBook under my name "Gerry McMullen" (not my business name Gerry's Metal Detectors).  We'll there is a very interesting and 1 of a kind quality of this gorgeous lady we have not mentioned until just now.  She actually vibrates when you drop her in the palm of your hand.  I think because of the way it folks over onto itself is part of why, but am sure there are many other reasons.
      Here is where we are trying to get some input and or help from those who are in the musical industry.  Is there a way we can catch the vibration and make it into sound?  All comments are welcomed and if you think you know of someone who could help, please please share with them.  You can share this link or share the post I have on FB.
      Even now as I look at this beautiful lady, I get goose bumps.

• By Jessefortoday12
      I found this in a creek East of Jackson Mississippi. It was 3 kilos. There is iron ball on it and a section that looks like a peice of metal crashed on the side also has a shape of a bullet or a shoe. 

• By Bader saad
      Kindly inform me of the type of this stone and its price in the market.

• By Robert Eaton Jr
      Hi everyone. Slowly building up our kit, Ill post another thread about it later on when I get a chance. Drivung Uber all around, stopping whenever i can at interesting places to detect.. I was wondering if anybody could help identify whether or not this is silver. It sets off my GPZ pretty well and I think I know where it could find a lot more. There's a lot of excavation going on around Reno which is exposing a lot of bedrock and other things haven't been seen for a long time. If this is silver, and there's a lot more is it worth any value? I'm pretty sure it's from ground that's never seen the light of day before. I picked it out of some veins /crevices in this huge buried volcanic rock type. I thought it was the type of iron before, but after thinking about it I think it might be silver. Maybe it's fine gold and crusted on it? I actually thought it was more rust so I took a picture of it.

• By bearthomas
      I found while swinging an old stagecoach route in AZ, I found what i originally thought was a washer or rivet back. after a closer look, it appears to be a thin 17mm brass/copper coin with a round hole. no designs or images, just characters. 4 on one side, two on the other. see photos, silvery look is sun light on dust. After looking closer, its a Chinese coin. thin brass or copper with round hole in the middle. see photos. anyone out there have a clue what it actually is? thanks see photos. any help in identifying would be appreciated.

• By nimstic
      Hello guys. I'm setting up a 50 gallon aquarium that reflect the local landscape (I live in the UAE, where there are tons of limestones and granites along the hajjar mountains, from my understanding these are mostly sedimentary rocks). I've found a few good stones here (in the pic) in my last hiking trip.
      https://imgur.com/ZxBgkwv 
      In the vinegar (6% acid) test on them, there was some fizz but only minor and in corrosive areas. There is a common talk among aquarium folks that limestones leach heavy metals and alter PH/Hardness of the water. These usually come from people who aren't really geologists - I was looking for some reliable info on how likely the water (my tap water ph is 7.6-7.8, water hardness 4.0 dgH, carbonate hardness 4.0 dkH) will undergo changes? I do understand it may happen given the aqaurium water ph can fluctuate slightly but shouldn't this take a very, very long time? I would highly appreciate any expert advice on this.