Looking For Tips For Beach Detecting With Minelab Vanquish 540

The chirpy is the machine reading the ground as it is responding to the salt. It makes for finding targets exhausting as you have to sweep over the chirps and listen carefully for a repeatable something. Obvious shallow targets will come through but you will most likely miss the deep targets. Dropping sensitivity will help clear up the chirp and the thought of losing something because machine isn't deep enough is almost negated by the noise anyways.

Most vlf machines out there that have a beach mode should work fine and in particular ones that have lower frequency <14khz or multi frequency.

Targets are all over beaches mostly but only reachable where there has been erosion. Next step is to learn what to look for. I use aluminum and seashells as indicators of erosion and look for cuts. The lighter stuff moves more than the heavy.

• Like 2

Hey @phrunt I just read the welcome post, since you're back now, I thought I'd ping you again on this thread, as your user appears to be all shiny and new 🙂

No rush of course, but if/when you get a chance to read what's been said so far, I'd value your suggestions/input.

Thanks!

And Welcome Back!

• Like 1

On 1/16/2021 at 5:33 AM, palzynski said:

Hi ,

Concerning the balance, the Vanquish is front heavy with the V12 coil ( the V12 coil weights 440grams without coil cover ) .  I found a solution to this issue using the V10 which is an excellent coil , much lighter ( 360grams ) and almost as deep as the V12. Also I never use coil covers , this saves 60grams  this can help a little also ...  Front carbon shafts would also improve the balance 

Concerning the noisy audio, perhaps you could try your 540 inland in mild soil . Normally it should be quiet except on trashy sites,  if it is not the case may be there could be pb with the machine .. This would help to diag your pb anyway ... 

Hope that helps ... HH ...

How do you like the 10" coil, is it quieter and did you lose much depth 

For me the V10 is the best coil of the Vanquish coil set . Far lighter ,  better in iron trash than the V12 . Also far easier to center/pinpoint .  There is just a little loss of depth on big targets like big coins . From my tests , my Vanquish 540 hits a 10grams copper coin at 11 inches depth  with the V10 , instead of 12inches with the V12 ...  

For smaller targets the V10 goes as deep as the V12 and even a little deeper.  

Not to say that the V12 is a bad coil , it is an excellent coil but for a specific use, I use it when I look for big coins at depth in low mineralized and clean ( low iron trash ) areas ..

All this for inland hunting , I am not a beach hunter ...

• Like 2

Hey GW,

I Finally got my 540 out on the beach for a couple hours! I hunted with the iron on! The reduced sound of the iron was hard to hear with the rough surf, but i noticed that the occasional one direction good beep, was also accompanied by a low iron beep if it was an iron target!

I also got some falsing when the surf ran up at my feet! I will attribute that to fewer frequencies to handle the moving salt, etc...!  My Nox 800 doesn't do that, so it's easy for me to compare the two!

Other that that, and the variable iron sound, it pretty much runs like my 800! Granted the 800 has much more flexibility for customization, and is waterproof (most of the time)!

I have all three coils, but opted for the V12 this go around! They are all very light! I like the shafts not being round, except when i want to turn the coil to put into a detector bag! And i like how compact it closes up!

One thing i don't like in it's design, is the battery cover!🤬 ML could have done a better job, and at least designed a seal for moisture and air penetration! The two tabs that the battery cover has, that fits into the housing, are open!! Those holes on the housing lead directly to the circuit board; not good!  The salt air will eventually eat that circuit board up!! They should have at least molded those closed! I will probably be trying to remedy that with some silicone! But it would have been an easy design fix at the factory!

I'm pretty happy with it so far, but it will still be a backup to my 800;  for land anyway! I don't have a good salt water backup yet! I'll post when i get out some more with it!👍👍

• Like 2