Which One 800 Or 600?

Al F

I’m wondering which Equinox ( 600 or 800 ) would be the better for my use for what I do here in So Calif... mostly Beaches....any thoughts ? ?

I'd say if your only use will be to hunt beaches, go for the 600 and put the money you'll save from not going for the 800 toward a decent set of waterproof headphones.  If you hunt the wet sand and in the water you'll want waterproof headphones.  I have the 800 and hunt everywhere.  I bought the LS Pelso waterproof headphones for the saltwater and freshwater beaches.  They've worked well.  Also, consider buying a carbon fiber shaft if you'll be in the salt water.

• Like 5

• The title was changed to Which One 800 Or 600?

The 600 is all you need on the beach but the headphones that come with it aren't very good and look dorky. They also aren't wireless. Expect to buy better headphones.

If you are planning on only going knee deep or shallower, you might as well get wireless headphones. This is assuming that you are confident enough to walk in the water without falling and getting them wet.

If you expect that you'll be submerging the detector or hunting in the rain, get waterproof headphones.

IMO, the 800 is worth it if you do a lot of dirt hunting. Wireless headphones plus the WM08 module, wider Recovery Speed range, Gold modes, two extra frequencies (20 and 40 kHz), etc.

• Like 3

Hm - I'd choose the 800 over the 600 anytime.

Hunting the beach doesn't necessarily mean waterhunting shoulderdeep - you don't need waterproof headphones for normal beach hunting or hunting with waders. But the threadowner didn't specify his style of hunting...

I love the WM08, because I can use the headphones I like (that's also possible with a bluetooth aptx-ll receiver), I especially love the variable Tonebreaks and I do use the Userprofile once in a while. Even the Gold mode saved my butt one time, but I wouldn't call that a killer feature for "me".

• Like 5

One of the differences is no longer different. The 600 backlight brightness adjustment is now the same as the 800 through the latest software upgrade. One additional difference however is the recovery speed settings. The 600 is 1-3, the 800 is 1-8. Not a big issue, but, it can help in some junk infested areas to have a bit more adjustment. 

• 3 weeks later...

I own both, and my answer to the question would be "yes". 

Honestly, the 600 has only a few limitations to the 800, with both using the same technology under the hood.  If the extra features are something you feel you need, spend the few extra dollars, but you are giving away any horsepower by opting for the 600.  They are essentially interchangeable in my arsenal for standard park or beach detecting.  It is nice having the user settings option on the 800, so there are times when I'm testing settings and want the flexibility of switching back and forth between settings on a target, but generally I reach for the one that has the coil on it that I want to use and never look back.  That's my two cents... other's mileage may vary.

~Tim. 

• Like 1

For me, the 800 is worth the extra expense. You can always sell the ML wireless headphones and w8m wireless module to recoup some if not most of the difference in price and the 800 will always have a better resale price. Almost everyone that wants a Equinox would prefer the 800 over the 600 so selling somewhere down the line makes the 800 the better buy.