Have Not Been Out For 6 Years Do Due Becoming Disabled. Finally Able To Walk A Little Now And.....

DB1000

33 minutes ago, DB1000 said:

There is always someone else worse off somewhere and never give up!

Welcome (back), DB!  You have a great attitude -- good to see your disabling injuries didn't steal that from you.

That looks like a USA Large Cent in the photo.  I assume that means you are detecting in the Eastern 1/3 of the USA since our Western members seldom if ever find those.  Can you read a date on it?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DB1000 said:

I cannot see the date but here is a closer look.

It looks to me (definitely not sure) that the third digit is a 3.  According to the Red Book there was a change in diameter starting in 1837.  It's a small change -- from 38-39 mm (apparent poor quality assurance of dies for the early years??) to 37.5 mm.  There was a change in the bust design at the same time but that also was subtle.  Some here who have done more research may be able to give more clues.

A coin from the first half of the 19th Century is a nice checkmark in anyone's finds ledger, even in this condition.  The site where you found this could be hiding some silver coins, too.  Hope you get a chance to get back there.

• Like 3

Welcome back to detecting.  It can be a long journey back to something normal.

Before I started detecting for the first time in the late 80's I had a bout with Lime Disease.  It lasted 2-3 years before the symptoms lessened and it was several years after that before I knew what happened to me from a tick in Texas.

I'm glad you are able to focus on outside activity now and it will give you a break from the mental morass caused by your conditions.

I wish I had sites that gave up such interesting relics and coins.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Hello DB,

Great finds!!

I think half the battle is just getting over the depression factor, and forcing yourself to get out there to do something you enjoy! Once you have done that (and you have), it gets easier! The mind can have fantastic power over the body's limitations! It's also a great help to read about, and talk to, people with the same desire to detect! I know it helps to motivate me to get out the door!😁

Keep up the good work! We are all interested in seeing some more goodies! 👍👍

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. I will be trying my best to get out. I just sat on the ground quite a few times taking the middle of a farm field all in again. Been too long. 

• Like 5

Yeah DB,

I know what you mean! I'm in S. Florida!😪 I've been trying to get out of here for years!! Whenever i get somewhere with some woods, mountains, or deserts,  and some real history, my energy level goes way up! And i try to soak it all in! Beaches ain't all they are cracked up to be; by a long shot!🤣 👍👍

Great job and great attitude!!! Looks like you haven't lost the detecting touch. There is nothing like detecting to help boost good thoughts and well being. Keep them coming, Just remember all finds are good finds. Thank you for sharing your finds and your story.

• Like 2