Joe Obn In Detecting Accident, Prayers.

1 hour ago, Elbert said:

Scary picture there Joe. Glad your going to be fine. Take care buddy.

El

Just to be clear- based on this comment from another forum:

"Talked to Joe tonight , he sounded a bit rough , however he said he will be able to go home this weekend"

It SOUNDS like he is going to be okay (survived) but he could face a tough recovery after all that he went through. There was also a mention of a possible shoulder injury while being pulled from the sea. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Just curious how you know this is Joe.  Statistical argument?  ("Who else would be in the Chesapeake Bay at this time of year??")  No mention that the person is wearing a diving suit.  The "five minutes in the water" statistic implies he wasn't.  Of course the reporter may have had little information.  The part about someone thinking he may have been detecting (again, not the substantiated info a thorough, thoughtful writer would include) also seems to indicate this story was quickly slapped together.

Regardless, I hope the person recovers.  If it was Joe he'll have quite a story to tell.

It is Joe.

• Like 1

I hope you're up a detecting soon Joe. Knowing you, you'll probably invent a new wet suit with a heater for your next hunt! 

• Like 3

Wishing for a speedy recovery for Joe.  As you can see, water hunting at any level from diving on wrecks to swinging ankle deep in the surf and everything in between has an element of risk, regardless of your experience and Joe is one of the most experienced water detectorists I know and he doesn't appear to be someone who is cavalier about safety.  Once Joe has recovered and able, I hope he shares the experience online so that we can learn about the circumstances and lessons here.  These things can sneak up on you, and the unexpected can happen quickly, and you can be in trouble before you recognize you are in trouble.  I read a story of a fatality in the same region just the day after Joe's incident regarding a boater who was ultimately found by the same rescue crew involved in Joe's incident.  Be careful out there folks.  Very thankful that Joe will be able to ultimately tell the tale, himself.

• Like 6

For those in doubt it was Joe. He's recovering and should be home soon. I let him tell the rest.

Mike

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

After discussions about Joe with my other water hunters, it was suggested to carry a whistle just in case there is an emergency. I went to amazon and bought 2, one for me and another for one of my hunting partners.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, CCadrin said:

After discussions about Joe with my other water hunters, it was suggested to carry a whistle just in case there is an emergency. I went to amazon and bought 2, one for me and another for one of my hunting partners.

Worked in that scene from the movie "Titanic".  I assume every natural gold detectorist who wanders alone out of line-of-sight vehicle range already does that, too.  One of my favorite cable TV shows (yeh, I watch quite a few) is "Would you Survive?" (previously titled "SOS - How to Survive") on Weather Channel here in the USA.  Some are about everyday experiences like car accidents leading to people down in ravines and unnoticed while others are about hikers and other outsdoorsmen, mistakes they've made, and things they could have done (well, maybe) to have made their experiences less life-threatening.  Lots of good ideas there and I suspect (can't remember) carrying a whistle was recommended at one point.  He does show how to make a whistle from a plant stem but that wouln't have helped Joe.

• Like 1