Vanquish 440 Best Settings For Gold

Reaper

Looking for gold tomorrow. New to everything. What is the best setting for gold if anyone knows?

I will do my best to calibrate the detector tomorrow and was thinking of trying to use some gold jewelery to attempt calibration test. I was told by someone in a hiking shop the Vanquish 440 does not have the frequency to pick up small fragments of gold, is this true? Would the “all metal” and a high sensitivity setting give me the best chance if there is not too much interference in the soil?

Thanks in advance guys.

57 minutes ago, Reaper said:

I will do my best to calibrate the detector tomorrow and was thinking of trying to use some gold jewelery to attempt calibration test.

Small lead is an alternative.

58 minutes ago, Reaper said:

I was told by someone in a hiking shop the Vanquish 440 does not have the frequency to pick up small fragments of gold, is this true?

Depends upon how small.  It should be at least as good as the Fisher Gold Bug (19 kHz) family and they've found a lot of small gold, although not as small as the 50-70 kHz detectors.

As has been said many times:  among detector, detectorist, and site, the detector usually is the least important of the three.

Go out there and have fun.  You might find some gold along the way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Depends upon how small.  It should be at least as good as the Fisher Gold Bug (19 kHz) family and they've found a lot of small gold, although not as small as the 50-70 kHz detectors.

As has been said many times:  among detector, detectorist, and site, the detector usually is the least important of the three.

Thank you very much for this. 

The 440 will pickup surface gold as small as the tiny nuggets pictured below. But there are a few things you need to consider. First tiny nugget are going to read 1 or 2 in most cases so running the coin program or at least a program that accepts all targets down to zero will need to be used. Second. If your ground is mineralized at all you're going to be at a disadvantage with the 440 because it has no ground balance or recovery speed adjustments. Running in either coin or jewelry mode has the quicker recovery.

Gold specific metal detectors such as the Fisher gold bug 2 and gold monster will pick up those tiny specs up to about 3" deep because they have ground balance and run at higher frequencies.

20201230_165902.thumb.jpg.08a407b9146185a29ca03a02fada5276.jpg

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Not even close to the Gold Bug for  gold

2 hours ago, Hobo said:

Not even close to the Gold Bug for  gold

Because...?  I like to read reasons -- helps me understand and make better decisions in the future.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the help. Was a very interesting day. I think the fact that I was in an area rich in Iron ore, probably one of the richest Iron ore areas on earth, threw the thing a little.  I would get a target ranging from 34 to 40 at a maximum depth. Would start digging - scan again the reading would disappear. The other reading I would get sometimes was 2 to 3 (earings symbol) again at a maximum depth. Scan the area again and it would disappear.  Scan it again and would get a weaker hit in the same place. The area was hard to explore due to thick mud, inclines and heat. Also had the distinct feeling I was being overlooked by a jaguar at one point.

BTW, what is the symbol next to the earrings at about 5. Is that a wrapper? Could not find a description of the symbols anywhere. Is the symbol at 25 a bottle cap?

2 hours ago, Reaper said:

Thanks for all the help. Was a very interesting day. I think the fact that I was in an area rich in Iron ore, probably one of the richest Iron ore areas on earth, threw the thing a little.  I would get a target ranging from 34 to 40 at a maximum depth. Would start digging - scan again the reading would disappear. The other reading I would get sometimes was 2 to 3 (earings symbol) again at a maximum depth. Scan the area again and it would disappear.  Scan it again and would get a weaker hit in the same place. The area was hard to explore due to thick mud, inclines and heat. Also had the distinct feeling I was being overlooked by a jaguar at one point.

BTW, what is the symbol next to the earrings at about 5. Is that a wrapper? Could not find a description of the symbols anywhere. Is the symbol at 25 a bottle cap?

Vanquish with its fixed GB is not the best tool for mineralized ground as appears to be the case for your area.  Equinox or a dedicated gold machine would do better there as you can balance out the ground noise. Equinox also has iron bias control that might help with the high vdi falsing you experienced.

The first symbol you asked about is foil the second is an aluminum twist screw cap (as opposed to a steel crown cap).  HTH

• Thanks 1