New Finds With The Nugget Finder Z Search Searchcoil

Thanks, yeah I posted that question like 1 minute before you posted your response. 🙂 Keep us updated what you find out re: NF.

For anyone who hasn't had the chance to speak with or do business with Rob - If Rob says 3 GPZ's failed due to coil mods, I believe it. Rob has always been among the most respected dealers in the USA among almost everyone I know for good reasons, integrity and honesty.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, vanursepaul said:

I have no idea what it cost to get them up and running or replaced...but you could pm him...

I remember reading about it at the time and if I recall it was in the $3000 range to fix the unit.  I took this into consideration when I modded my adapter for my out of warranty Zed.  I knew that if there was going to be a problem the detector would need to be repaired and not the coil.  A lot was learned through their experience and I don't know if any other units have been toasted since then.

Such is the risk of better performance.  Mine is working just fine when done by a professional electronics expert.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rob Allison said:

In my opinion, I don't recommend anyone voiding a warranty or sacrificing a $8000 metal detector if you make a mistake.

Hi Rob, can you please confirm that any warranty for the GPZ is voided in case after market modifications, such as the adapter for the X-coil, is being made that are not authorized by ML or that are not done by an authorized ML dealer? This has been my understanding all along and for sure was one of several reasons for me not to do any of this sort. My GPZ still has full warranty and It would not occur to me to jeopardize that for a 8k investment. Just wanted to make sure I am not wrong here. Thanks. (PS: PM me if you have a NF coil in store-I think I am already on your waiting list ;))

46 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

Hi Rob, How can it be that Minelab don't endorse NF coils but have worked with Nugget Finders Z Search coil in giving them the chip & okaying the release of that coil for use on the GPZ 7000?

JW 🤠 

The very fact NF have the lead strongly suggests a full endorsement. ML are a big corporation and things happen very slowly in BIG corporations. 

• Like 2

On 1/17/2021 at 10:56 AM, Gold Catcher said:

Hi Rob, can you please confirm that any warranty for the GPZ is voided in case after market modifications, such as the adapter for the X-coil, is being made that are not authorized by ML or that are not done by an authorized ML dealer? This has been my understanding all along and for sure was one of several reasons for me not to do any of this sort. My GPZ still has full warranty and It would not occur to me to jeopardize that for a 8k investment. Just wanted to make sure I am not wrong here. Thanks. (PS: PM me if you have a NF coil in store-I think I am already on your waiting list ;))

If your detector blows because an adapter has been badly made that is not covered by any warranty, I have not heard to date of any actual X coils blowing machines but it now seems plenty have been blown with poorly made adapters.

There is always a risk of an adapter failing due to repetitive strain when shortening and lengthening the shaft, the ML over-mold is pretty robust but the GPX 5000 coil lead ends less so (they are designed for a loose wrapped around the shaft type connections and tend to have movement in the connector when too tight, causing noise, this is why ML went to a better connector design on the GPZ).  If a correctly made adapter fails that does not necessarily mean the detector will blow as the two power wires also need to short out (current carrying wires). I’ve not heard of any adapters working then failing then blowing a machine, but it now seems there are more blown machines out there than I knew about.

In simple terms, using an X coil will not void warranty, if your detector fails through normal use and the X coil was not the reason (ML can test for this) then your warranty is still intact. If the adapter is faulty and blows the machine then you have no warranty (ML can also check for this). I know on one units that blew they sold the user a new PCB (expensive) but this policy might have changed and things might now fall under their NO service modification policy and return to sender. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

If the adapter is faulty and blows the machine then you have no warranty (ML can also check for this)

Thanks JP. From other products I know that for after-market modifications usually a factory approved process is required that needs to be done by an authorized dealer to remain within full warranty scope. Not sure how otherwise you would judge if an adapter is made "well" or "poorly". The word of mouth that the adapter would be "well" made, by "someone", is not good enough for me (personally). But that's everybody's own call.

• Like 1

Getting back to the NF coil subject I wonder if Rob can let us know how he found the EMI with the Zsearch. I’ve been able to work much closer to power lines here in Australia I presume because of the smaller windings. Even when thunderstorms have been about the coil is much quieter Sferic wise.  

16 minutes ago, davsgold said:

I sincerely hope everyone is very happy with the 12" Zsearch coils.

If I would just be able to get one...🤔

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

JP - The coil was super quite, but kind of expected that with a small coil.  I didn't take it around anywhere I felt there was a problem with EMI, I was pretty much in the outback of Arizona with minimal to no EMI (electrical, airplanes, microwave towers and such). 

Dave - We can agree to disagree.  If the X-coils were "plug right in" I would be selling them.  I had the same opportunity to sell these coils here in the US.  I think the X-coils put the fire under other companies to either build additional coils for the GPZ 7000 or not.  I personally think originally if the patch lead was included with the purchase of a coil early on, there wouldn't be any issues.  However, that was not the case, you had to purchase the coils from Russia or elsewhere, then find someone to make a patch lead using a wiring diagram.  These are the facts.

I agree with you, where customers might have been having the patch leads built, or doing it themselves is a different story.  I never stated that the X-coils were bad, but more so giving a customer more options of coil sizes and potentially more gold in different hunting environments.  

This is the information anyone that owns a GPZ 7000 deserves.  If a customer wants to have additional coil options, they need to be aware if there are issues, Minelab will not cover the expense or make the repair.  

Lastly, If one manufacture can make a coil for the GPZ with the correct connector that just plugs in, why can't X-coils?  What is the reason for the adapter? 

Rob

• Like 3

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked