What Is Your Best/favorite Mod?

mn90403

Have you modded a detector or a coil over the years to make it perform better than the manufacturer intended?  Did you get good results?  I just did a search on this forum and found 168 hits for modded.  What is your favorite mod?

Most of my mods have been done to improve ergonomics, not actual performance.  Here is a thread (scroll down to near bottomf of page 1) where I described modding a White's TDI Pulse Scan 150 mm (6 in) diameter round mono to be negatively buoyant (i.e. to sink as opposed to float).  In the process I also changed the bottom of the coil housing to get the actual coil windings 3/4" closer to the ground ==> targets.

As far as success, it was a mixed bag.  I accomplished adding weight internally (limestone drink coasters) to get the coil by itself to sink in water.  But when mounted on the detector shaft in operating position it still floated (slightly), requiring my wrist to provide enough torque to get it submerged.  I did gain the 3/4" 'depth', though, so success for that part.

There are better ways to add weight as was pointed out to me, such putting bags of sand on top of a coil for dead weight.  And that is reversible so when on dry land you don't need to deal with the extra toe-heaviness that permanent weights lead to.  Success in the 'lessons learned' department, anyway....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I got my 4500 fully modded by Detectronics last year. 250+ pieces of gold later (2.55oz) and I cant go wrong. Coupled with a 9" Elite coil and a Rodworthy EMI shield have made it the best detector Ive ever owned. Super quiet (almost zero EMI), fully adjustable frequencies and transmit gain make it a killer for small gold at depth and bigger gold with big coils. I get gold 99% of every day out. Loving it! 😃 Pic shows all my gold since Xmas (1.1oz).

IMG_20210120_200743[1].jpg

• Like 1