Minelab GPX 6000 Controls & Setup

I still think that these few functions will drastically lower the price of what we are used to in the gpx models, following the equinox and vanquish models

• Like 2

I don't think the lack of many options means the detector is less worth, as discussed here before. Rather, the underlying technology is what matters. ML said it will sit between the SDC and the GPZ. Likely around USD 6k, that's the rumor.

10 minutes ago, Luis said:

I still think that these few functions will drastically lower the price of what we are used to in the gpx models, following the equinox and vanquish models

I hope you are correct. If so, I'll buy one. If not I'll keep the GPX5000 until I can find more time to get out and prospect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Still a mystery to how you get to the "DD" modes and how to switch between them.  Wonder if a new icon pops up when you hook up the as yet unseen GPX 6000 DD coils.

It could be that the 6000 automatically senses when a DD coil is attached. They might even have iron reject built in and optimized for soil conditions.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, abenson said:
1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Still a mystery to how you get to the "DD" modes and how to switch between them.  Wonder if a new icon pops up when you hook up the as yet unseen GPX 6000 DD coils.

It could be that the 6000 automatically senses when a DD coil is attached.

I agree it could be auto detect but wondering how you switch between the two Double D Modes: EMI cancel (default) vs. Conductive Ground Cancel.  Also, on the the legacy GPX's, noise cancel mode on a DD resulted in sensitivity loss and off center pinpointing, so it's curious that is the default DD mode.

• Like 1

This is totally off the cuff, but just from the design aspect the center indicator is incredibly large for such a small screen to just show normal/difficult terrain. My guess is that it does something and that those tiers will show approximately how deep the signal is, deep will be in the bottom, shallow at the top. This could be the geosense. 

• Like 1

It looks very simple to operate - the instruction manual will be a lot smaller than the GPX5000 and GPZ7000.

I always wondered why 5 years ago when ML launched the GPZ they jumped from 5000 to 7000. Looks like they have always planned to update the GPX with the 6000 - so looks like the boffins at ML have been working on the GPX6000 for some time.

• Like 3

No doubt they've had a GPX update in the works for some time but during product development things do change i.e.

- lots of people wanting an SDC with interchangeable coils (larger) & more depth 

- modernised GPX along the lines of the GPZ especially the user interface rather than knobs + toggle switches

They've come up with a pretty good compromise really. IMO they could have given it a new prefix e.g. GSX (Geo-Sense extra) to separate it from what looks to be now a completely different way forward from the SD/GP/GPX format.

In some ways I don't think it will replace my GPX just yet but in saying that I still do like the simplicity of the SDC & user interface of the GPZ. 

It remains to be seen whether the Geo-Sense function can automatically maintain the optimum levels of sensitivity &/or depth depending on ground? Hopefully once Minelab give the green light people like JP & Nenad can tell us more. No doubt they will know 😊

• Like 3

I like your "GSX" naming concept - its a logical step from the SD/GP/GPX given that the 6000 is such a different machine to the 5000.

Im sure there would have been lots of internal debating within Minelab on what to call the new detector.

I think it has a little bit from all three, the SDC, GM and GPZ. Not so much from the traditional GPX's from what it appears. The ease of operation seems to be inspired from the GM and the SDC. Fire up and go. If the Geosense performance is really that good and differentiated, then it will be a winner despite all the automation, especially with the reduced weight. The "older" GPX product concept seems to be in stark contrast to this new simplified philosophy ML has.

• Like 3