Finally Got Out Again With The AQ

I'm really surprised about fishing lures and the absent hooks. Do the hooks just rot away or do people remove them for photos? I'd sure hate to dig up a lure with hook intact.. Talk about a real nightmare if that rusty tetanus-laced hook got in a finger.

2 hours ago, RobNC said:

I'd sure hate to dig up a lure with hook intact.. Talk about a real nightmare if that rusty tetanus-laced hook got in a finger.

I've noticed that the sharp tips erode away or become dull if they've been in (even fresh-) water for a while (meaning years, not months), at least where I detect.  I don't know how long it takes the entire hook to disappear, though.  I use a scoop and try to avoid using my hands for recovery.  The only thing that's bitten me so far was a rusty nail shard which looked like it had gotten sharp from the rest of the nail rusting away.  And I did get my tetanus booster shot a couple years ago just in case.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RobNC said:

I'm really surprised about fishing lures and the absent hooks. Do the hooks just rot away or do people remove them for photos? I'd sure hate to dig up a lure with hook intact.. Talk about a real nightmare if that rusty tetanus-laced hook got in a finger.

They do corrode away to some degree as GB pointed out.  But there are still plenty of newer ones at popular fishing beaches, to jab ya. I do believe the ones that are older do corrode out eventually.

5 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I've noticed that the sharp tips erode away or become dull if they've been in (even fresh-) water for a while (meaning years, not months), at least where I detect.  I don't know how long it takes the entire hook to disappear, though.  I use a scoop and try to avoid using my hands for recovery.  The only thing that's bitten me so far was a rusty nail shard which looked like it had gotten sharp from the rest of the nail rusting away.  And I did get my tetanus booster shot a couple years ago just in case.

Isn't it weird that a hook loses it's tip but doesn't seem to develop a new tip, while a nail rusts and exposes a needle like end? I've been pricked by a couple of those nails - goes right through the glove 😬

• Oh my! 1

3 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

They do corrode away to some degree as GB pointed out.  But there are still plenty of newer ones at popular fishing beaches, to jab ya. I do believe the ones that are older do corrode out eventually.

Isn't it weird that a hook loses it's tip but doesn't seem to develop a new tip, while a nail rusts and exposes a needle like end? I've been pricked by a couple of those nails - goes right through the glove 😬

I’ve been poked by a few of those rusty needles too. I wear a pouch with two different pockets and those go in the trash side. Every once in awhile those needles go right through the pouch and hit the leg. Not fun. Now I try to bend them over into a U shape and they don’t tend to jab you. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, okara gold said:

I’ve been poked by a few of those rusty needles too. I wear a pouch with two different pockets and those go in the trash side. Every once in awhile those needles go right through the pouch and hit the leg. Not fun. Now I try to bend them over into a U shape and they don’t tend to jab you. 

I occasionally get thumbtacks and I bend those before putting them in my trash pouch.  It's amazing how good they sound on the ML Equinox (maybe all detectors...).  I swear I've got a deep silver quarter or half dollar (or at worst a beefy silver ring) and then about 3 inches down (actually in the plug) is a frickin' thumbtack!  Who throws those on the ground anyway??  Sunnuvab____!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I occasionally get thumbtacks and I bend those before putting them in my trash pouch.  It's amazing how good they sound on the ML Equinox (maybe all detectors...).  I swear I've got a deep silver quarter or half dollar (or at worst a beefy silver ring) and then about 3 inches down (actually in the plug) is a frickin' thumbtack!  Who throws those on the ground anyway??  Sunnuvab____!

Those tack read great on my DFX too. I used to find them in the woods. I was told that hunters use reflective tacks that they push into the trees. Not sure if that is true or not. Maybe they use it to navigate at night or to mark a great location to hunt.

• Like 1