Equinox 800 & Anfibio Multi

12 minutes ago, Dances With Doves said:

Is my X-terra in the prospect mode threshold  base or filtered also?  

the X-Terra 705 is a selectable single frequency detector so just for that reason alone, its threshold based all metal prospecting mode is less filtered than the Equinox 800 Gold modes. Does it have some filtering, yes. Any detector in all metal mode that has some form of ferrous/non-ferrous discrimination (like the X-Terra iron masking) automatic ground balance tracking and gives some kind of visual target ID has some filtering going on in the background. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I think I like it better the way it is.

I do also wish it had that mineralization meter you mentioned in the previous post, though.  The GB "phase" reading is practcally meaningless, in the context of how ML has implemented it on Nox, to get any handle on mineralization of the ground you are swinging over.   For one thing, you get different GB reference number readings depending on the mode you have selected.  That's why GB is not universal on Equinox, each mode sees the ground differently so you have to balance for each mode.  Having a separate mineralization readout would not change this, but knowing the degree of ground mineralization might affect the mode you choose, where you want to swing, and how you want to set up the machine.  I know it probably has to infer ground mineralization in order to make auto ground tracking work, so the info is there and it would probably by a fairly accurate reading with multi IQ processing.  Perhaps a feature for the Equinox 1000

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I also wish I could just go to the Gold Modes, select single frequency 40 kHz threshold based all metal mode and gold prospect with it. BUT, I doubt the Equinox 800 in that setup would handle tough mineralization as well as simultaneous multi frequency default Gold Modes as incorporated on the 800.

Good point.  Though ML was close to implementing the gold modes as single frequency by default, and spectrum analysis of the Multi IQ Gold mode transmit spectrum has lead folks to make statements like it appears to be mainly dominated by 40 khz with a lower frequency mixed in just so ML could "say" it was Multi.  I don't necessarily subscribe to that thinking because I think Multi-IQ is more than about just using multifrequencies (that's why iron bias is disabled in single frequency mode).   My wish would be that you could select the Gold mode audio and "true" threshold as an option in the other modes.

• Like 3

Gun to head, I can only have one detector, period..... I'd still have to say Equinox. It's still an amazing machine that nobody has slapped down yet. It may take Minelab themselves to do that of course. Not saying the Anfibio is not a great detector, but frankly we have lots of great detectors these days.

But Equinox is not perfect. Ergonomics kind of blah (hand grip in particular due to enclosed battery takes some getting used to), and a raft of issues with coil ears, rods, and leaks. I still think some of that is due to the sheer, and I mean huge number of Equinox out there. The rod thing is in the past, but coil ears and leaks still plague some water users. Dry land though you are extremely unlikely to have those problems.

• Like 6

As you said, the ergonomics is kind of the problem.... If you are going for an all around machine!! I wouldn't like to spend that money and still go through issues 🤷‍♂️

Honestly it's the only thing at the moment keeping me from buying it!! 

• Like 1

Nobody says you will go through these issues. Most don’t. That’s just the truth. People don’t take time to tell you they are not having issues... they only report problems. The Equinox is easily the worlds most popular detector, and that is not because it lets everyone down. Plus Minelab except when parts get short has been excellent in covering all the people with these issues under warranty. Finally, no machine is perfect. Kind of sounds like deep down you want the Anfibio. Nothing wrong with that. Good luck!

• Like 1

I

7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Nobody says you will go through these issues. Most don’t. That’s just the truth. People don’t take time to tell you they are not having issues... they only report problems. The Equinox is easily the worlds most popular detector, and that is not because it lets everyone down. Plus Minelab except when parts get short has been excellent in covering all the people with these issues under warranty. Finally, no machine is perfect. Kind of sounds like deep down you want the Anfibio. Nothing wrong with that. Good luck!

If I knew for sure I would go for it hahaha  ....but yes to be honest I am leaning towards the anfibio just a little bit.... The dive impulse is another thing  that would go great with it 🤪

• Like 2

Have you actually been able to hold and swing both the Equinox, the Anfibio and the Impact? You might learn a lot from that experience and from working a bit with the controls. I am an older person and the Anfibio felt really heavy to me. The Equinox is not the best ergonomically either but there are many ways to make it lighter including aftermarket carbon fiber shafts which make the Equinox much more comfortable.

As Kac has mentioned, have you looked at the Nokta Makro Multi Kruzer? It is a bit less expensive than the Anfibio and is based on the excellent Makro Racer and Racer 2 whereas the Anfibio is based on the Impact from what I understand. Both have been waterproofed and have full wireless operation as opposed to their predecessors.

Also, from what you have mentioned as your likely hunting areas, I don't know why you would absolutely need the Equinox 800. An Equinox 600 with a set of aftermarket Bluetooth low latency ATPX earbuds or headphones might suit you just as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i always factor in warranties and which detector has greater potentials. which detector will give me the edge in a most conditions, environments and climates.

• Like 1

i had the kruzer and multi kruzer. i really enjoyed them and their quality overall. i sold them and bought the XP ORX with the 9" hf and the 11" x35 coil and WOW! I really love it.