St. George Wwii Medal

Out today to a local soccer complex that I have detected before. I believe it may have been an auto junkyard because there are tons of signals that sound amazing. It's only after I start digging to the earth's core that I realize it is not a silver coin, but rather a large piece of aluminum trim or car door handle, etc. Nevertheless, I had two signals that were actually good, solid high-tones with repeatable numbers. The 50¢ piece was a 33 id. I thought for sure it was going to be a silver ring, but the coin isn't bad either as I don't find many of those anymore.

The next high tone that caused pause was a 37-39 id. It was under a soccer goal, so I'm sure it has been detected before--likely left alone due to it sounding a lot like the rest of the trash in the ground. I also was going to leave it, but when the coil was raised and waived over the signal, the audio trailed off quickly. It was very caked with sand, but some brushing help reveal at least some details. The front looks like the rest of the medals I found online, but the back does not appear to be the same. Do any of you have anymore information about these medals? Also, how does one go about cleaning the crusted sand from the medal(bronze)? I know it could harm it possibly, but it certainly won't be worth anything in its current state. 

Equinox 15", 7 recovery, all metal,  Park 1

Screenshot_20210118-195615.jpg

IMG_20210118_154716.jpg

IMG_20210118_154751.jpg

IMG_20210118_195736.jpg

IMG_20210118_195753.jpg

IMG_20210118_195908.jpg

IMG_20210118_195839.jpg

IMG_20210118_195745.jpg

• Like 2

Cool, silver plated bronze? I found a anniversary medallion that was similar age that was silver plated bronze. The tumbler did a great job cleaning the crud off and good amount of the silver plate was still on it. I used a vibratory tumbler with carbon steel elliptical shot and tumbling soap for jewelry.

• Thanks 1

It doesn't appear to be the eagle on the reverse. It looks to be very similar to this picture with the hand. I wonder if there were fewer of these made than the with the eagle? https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/x-anti-nazi-medal-for-british-war-relief-1941-bro-176-c-3bb5a4d679

This link has a bit more meat: 

http://beta.medallicartcollector.com/medal/saint-george-forward-to-victory?scrollTop=0

Screenshot_20210118-224913.jpg

Cool find...I got a soccer field like that lots of junk deep...old stuff...I guess start with a tooth brush and soapy water...use a tumbler for everything else but I dont sell anything and if I planned on selling something I would probably not put it in the tumbler...

strick

• Thanks 1

Tumbling media I use is non abrasive. Seen videos of people using ceramic and even pea stones which might be ok on clad but not a good idea. The tumbling soap is important too, you want something that doesn't patina copper alloys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2021 at 9:59 PM, kac said:

I used a vibratory tumbler with carbon steel elliptical shot and tumbling soap for jewelry.

On 1/19/2021 at 12:14 PM, kac said:

Tumbling media I use is non abrasive.

I'm trying to visualize this.  You use carbon steel elliptical shot in the tumbler?  If that's what I think it is (must not be...) I would expect it to bash the hell out of any metal being cleaned.  Could/would you clear up my confusion, Ken?  (And please don't recommend that I immerse my head in a tumbler with that shot in it.  That kind of 'clearing' I'd like to avoid.  :biggrin:)

Hi, just for a bit of added interest a book from the same era, or probably just after 1941. I've never seen one of those medals in the UK so I wonder if they may have been a part of a wider wartime propaganda effort from before the end of 1941 - to try and promote more understanding or feeling of partnership. 

DSCF5749.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I'm trying to visualize this.  You use carbon steel elliptical shot in the tumbler?  If that's what I think it is (must not be...) I would expect it to bash the hell out of any metal being cleaned.  Could/would you clear up my confusion, Ken?  (And please don't recommend that I immerse my head in a tumbler with that shot in it.  That kind of 'clearing' I'd like to avoid.  :biggrin:)

It is non abrasive and a vibratory tumbler is pretty forgiving. The tumbling soap does most of the work. I had posted pics of a medallion I found somewheres on the forum here and you can see a before and after. It didn't destroy the silver plate. I actually didn't even see any plating on it until I tossed it in the tumbler.

Heres the link. scroll towards bottom and see what the tumbler did.

• Thanks 1