More Land Opening To Prospecting In Alaska

1 hour ago, Goldseeker5000 said:

Hey Steve what do you mean in regards to control?

A surveyor must start from a known control point, which is some point as nearby as possible that has been surveyed before. In Alaska that might mean a brass cap monument on a hilltop established in 1920. The spot you want to survey may be 75 miles away across swamps and rivers. The cost to run that survey from that control point to the worksite can be astronomical in Alaska. Think remote sites, helicopters, etc.

In town for a lot survey control may just be the neighbors property corner that got surveyed in 10 years ago. Set the tripod up there and go.

Like I said, I’m not up in the latest laws. For some stuff satellite is acceptable, but for lots of work it’s not accurate enough.

I had some crazy adventures as a surveyor in Alaska. Might be an interesting side story for the forum sometime

https://landsurveyorsunited.com/video/list/tag/tutorial

• Like 5

Every Map of America always has Alaska way out of scale, and placed in a box somewhere near the Hawaiian Islands.  This is the most accurate map I have found from an Alaskans perspective.

alaskamao.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You know what they call small in Alaska?

Texas sized...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Robert Eaton Jr said:

You know what they call small in Alaska?

Texas sized...

I know what you mean Texas is one forth the sizes of West Australia.😁 

Bring on those stories Steve, I'd like to hear them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to admit it is on my to do list "Visit Alaska",the wilderness and scenery are attracting me for some reason,the gold story also :).Better to do it in the warmest month :(.

RR

• 4 weeks later...

Well so much for open mineral lands on the Seward peninsula. The new administration has put a 60 day hold on the opening "for orderly management of the public lands".

I guess they were afraid of a big gold rush this month north of the Arctic circle? 😏

I suspect this reopening of mineral lands is headed for cancellation by executive order. Time will tell.

• Like 1