Here's One For You

Out detecting my huge permission in front of my house today, had a special guest digger with me. 🤔 Over the past few weeks I have averaged about 3 buttons a day, yesterday found the 4 in the first picture. Bottom 3 are all concave buttons, I usually find flat brass or tombac.

We were hunting what I determined to be the site of a house that was on USGS in 1917 (oldest map I can find), so probably much older, and I got a solid 19 on the object in the second photo. It weighs almost 8 ounces and is not magnetic. My best estimation is it is solid bronze, but could be lead although I cannot scratch it easily, and I think it would weigh more for its size of about 1-1/2" at the widest. It has a blush green patina.

I'm thinking a bed finial, cane topper, or door/drawer knob but it shows no attachment point at the base. Seems of French design because of the row of Fleur de Lis on the bottom. Really having a blast out there with the Equinox and the ACE 400!

20210117_171023.jpg

20210118_211933.jpg

• Like 4

Green Patina it is a copper alloy, brass or bronze. Try to wash it up a bit and see if it had a post or hole of some sort.

Cool finds, be a real bummer if they revoke your permissions hahah

• Like 1

Totally agree, it's extremely rare to have such a permission literally right out the front door! The farmers are great guys, ran into one of them out doing soil samples and we joked about all the hazards and lead I'm getting out of there for them 😎 Pulled a 2 foot piece of rebar out yesterday that would have trashed a combine! Also found a new large stainless bolt and nut they might be interested in. They are huge landowners here so if I do good there may be more places to go in the future, but the 350ish acres I have right now are going to last a long time.

I did clean it once already but was afraid to go too far. Maybe some dish soap and a tooth brush. No holes in the bottom. The tan stuff is the "blue marle" this area is famous for. Thankfully we have been getting enough rain, when it dries it's like concrete.

• Like 1