In The Area You Hunt How Many Nuggets Does It Take To Find One At 10 Grams Or More In The Area You Hunt ?

I only  went real nugget hunting one time in Stanton,Arizona in march 2002 because the late Charlie Wilson of Wilson metal   detectors took us as guests for a week.I was   using a Minelab gold machine he lent me that ran at 3  different freq.You had to choose one.I really envy you guys that get to do this in your area.I loved doing it even though I found no gold since i was  new at this type of hunting.The owner of the   Johnson mine even gave us permission to hunt his land which I thank him for.I  met Chris  Gholson and his  father and they were fantastic people.  

• Like 1

• The title was changed to In The Area You Hunt How Many Nuggets Does It Take To Find One At 10 Grams Or More In The Area You Hunt ?

10 gm is more than a quarter of an ounce. If this is your aim to get one you will have to set a bit of time for doing a bit of  )testing in new ground. Very few people achieve getting a lump unless they have a bit of luck on their side. My first patch got close to a kilo with 8 nuggets above an ounce and a couple of specks. In WA Aus. one patch the wife and I got over 500 bits with nothing over 2 or 3 gm. If you are after the odds of getting 10 gm or above you will have to specify the area that is relevance to your district. (GPS readings help 🤣 ) 

• Haha 1

Longer and longer between them every year for me.

Places I used to be able to depend on 1/4-1/2 oz'ers weekly I now struggle to get 2 grammers out of.

There are still some good places to discover out there even in the lower 48 I think though. I've found gold in places no one has ever detected, no drywashing evidence, and no history of placer production. Just takes a lot of patience to explore and not find anything, which widens that gap between 10 grammers even more significantly...

• Like 8

Was that an XT 18000 you were using?

To answer your question re finding of a 10 gram nugget...... Gosh, they are like hens teeth today but that isn't to say they are not out there. The 'shallow' ones have well & truly been picked off. Today they maybe just down out of reach at the moment with todays ever improving technology. It is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string😂. The real gold is in the journey of trying to find one. Enjoy the journey, just as you did in your post. Best of luck.

G4G 

3 hours ago, geek4gold said:

Was that an XT 18000 you were using?

To answer your question re finding of a 10 gram nugget...... Gosh, they are like hens teeth today but that isn't to say they are not out there. The 'shallow' ones have well & truly been picked off. Today they maybe just down out of reach at the moment with todays ever improving technology. It is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string😂. The real gold is in the journey of trying to find one. Enjoy the journey, just as you did in your post. Best of luck.

G4G 

I think so.