Thanks!

The thrill for me is being able to identify it, mangled as it is. It is my second two-piece find, I found a Horstmann WW1 jacket button in my back yard on the first day of metal detecting with my Ace 400. Now I need to figure out why I found them here🤔

20200805_185643.jpg

• Like 3

It's not often you get the letter "D" in that shield!!! Great button. I get "A"'s occasionally, but never a "D" yet. Congrats!

• Like 2

Pretty neat find.  Wikipedia isn't always right, but keeping that in mind, from the quote below it sounds like there weren't any dragoon regiments after 1861.  That makes my wonder why those buttons would have been made as late as 1865.  I also wonder if they were even used during the Civil War.  I guess if you already had a uniform you didn't worry much if the buttons were no longer 100% up to date.

In 1861 the two existing U.S. Dragoon regiments were re-designated as the 1st and 2nd Cavalry. This reorganization did not affect their role or equipment, although the traditional orange uniform braiding of the dragoons was replaced by the standard yellow of the Cavalry branch. This marked the official end of dragoons in the U.S. Army in name, although certain modern units trace their origins back to the historic dragoon regiments. In practice, all US cavalry assumed a dragoon-like role, frequently utilizing carbines and pistols in addition to their swords.

• Like 1

Great find this time of year, and I know just how brutal the wind has been here in Illinois.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

In 1861 the two existing U.S. Dragoon regiments were re-designated as the 1st and 2nd Cavalry...

Hey GB,

I read this as well, so I researched "Virginia Dragoons". I found records of units named as such (Light Dragoons, etc.) that existed as late as 1916, a few units close to this area. One article mentioned that after units were reorganized to the 1st and 2nd Cav, soldiers still added their old Dragoon buttons to their uniforms. I wonder if The Confederacy recognized these reorganizations anyway 😀

The top photo is from McGuinn/Bazelon "American Military Button Makers and Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates". Managed to get a brand new updated hardcover edition (2006) after I found my WW1 button. A guy in Virginia was selling them for $25! Imagine my surprise when I saw the very backmark photo in the book!

It's sad it's so mangled.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

One article mentioned that after units were reorganized to the 1st and 2nd Cav, soldiers still added their old Dragoon buttons to their uniforms.

Nice research!  That explains a lot.  I found one and figured it was pre-CW.  Now I'm less sure.  But I guess the soldier who wore it was enlisted prior to the time they changed the designation, so in that sense it may be.  Mine is by a different maker -- Bradbury(?) -- that company in Connecticut.  They made gazillions of buttons, including civilian ones, and were in business well into the 20th Century.  I found one of their catalogs online (.pdf).

Fun stuff!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Dug2gld
      Had an invite to detect near Culpeper VA yesterday in the red dirt.  The tarsacci found this awesome Eagle button.  Have a couple hunts coming up near Culpeper in the next few months, I feel comfortable swinging the detector in the difficult soil. Will also be doing water hunts this summer.  

• By F350Platinum
      Thought I'd be wrapping up the RV park today, we decided to stay one more day. Been digging lots of stuff here, it's either been hit or there just isn't any silver. With all the techniques I've tried you'd think I'd find one silver coin. Still could be me... 🤔 But I have found silver (reales, US coins) so It's hard to believe it.
      The take today was just fun:

70s memorials, a 1916 wheat, an 1892 IHP. Box key lock plate, live .40 S&W hollowpoint, .380 FMJ. The snap is there to keep the bullets from rolling into my favorite find today:
      This 1920s brass advertising medallion for an obscure soda brand. Looks like it had a loop on top for keys or something. Info here:
      http://www.tazewell-orange.com/wascott.html
      Fun thing to find. Didn't see one in any collection so I may offer it up.
      Later I saw some people playing volleyball in a sand court. 😈 Hit that this evening, only got halfway through before the sun went down and my pinpointer died.
      Well there's one more day.
      There were some "gold" signals but I would be obligated to turn that stuff into the office I think. The gold would have sunk deeper than the modern coins IMHO, and it would be in the hard pan under the sand unless lost recently. I did get the '78 quarter there. Going to tell the maintenance guy to hit it when he gets his metal detector. 😀 He's hooked!
      It was a great day.
    • By F350Platinum
      I got better... 😀
      Went to the farmhouse yesterday and today. I feel like I'm at a beach, and it's ironic that it's Memorial Day weekend and I'm finding lots of memorials. 🇺🇸 The campground is full of Veterans, flags everywhere honoring those who made the ultimate sacrifice so that we can enjoy the freedom we have.
      Yesterday I dug the oldest coin so far, a wheat from the 40s, along with .46 in other newer coins:

Trash was minimal. Got a big brass spline bushing, and a few bits of molten aluminum and other junk, a couple of sinkers. The best finds of the day:

Copper or brass duck medallions and a copper electric lineman's loop nut. A Power company guy called it out as I dug it. The ducks may have been either prizes or on dog collars. Or something... 🤔
      The ground here is easy to dig except for roots, but it's sandy loam that feels like talc. Very fine dust.
      Today's finds were off the charts for me:

An old Lesney Matchbox Mercedes Trailer toy ca. 1967-69, a small octagonal compact, an aluminum token of some kind so encrusted it's unreadable, and 61 cents in modern coins.

I tried all suggestions and found @rod-pa's to be the most productive. Using my usual program with all metal off and going really slow allowed me to retrieve the dime in a hole full of nails. I only turned all metal on to verify that iron was present, but something better was also. I want to thank everyone yet again for all their guidance.

Those thunderstorms ended the day.

• By F350Platinum
      Only got about an hour and a half in at the farmhouse here in NC today. I found that the house is still on Google maps, so I had an actual photo to use with GPS and was able to identify exactly where the house was, and where I was in relation to it. Apparently it was taken down within the last 10 years.
      First and second hits were coins, a real Zincoln and a 1974 penny. The Zincoln was about 6" deep. The older one was about the same.
      There has to be some silver here! I took @rod-pa's suggestion and switched all metal off, looking for only deep high tones (15 up, my choice) that were repeatable, skipping the surface stuff (2-4") that I'm sure was can slaw. I think that since I don't have a lot of time I need to get busy and stick with the "good" stuff. There isn't a tremendous amount of iron here but it is significantly more than I thought. Dealing with iron cancelled out is easier, but kinda scary. I just never trusted it before.
      Got at least one real relic, a really nice brass rein guide complete with the attaching nut. It was a 30/31. Some copper tubing, some old gears (30-32 ID), bullet, and a shotgun shell. Only one piece of iron got me. I found some wire but dropped it off in a trash can.
      The Howard Jones tune played in my head so hence the title.

• By strick
      If your a relic hunter you will find lots of these...this is one my wife found a few years ago...it is gold and silver with the women's initials engraved on it. I have yet to find one even close...the ones I find are usually flat lol 
      strick

• By Goldpick
      Ok, so technically in the past I had already found evidence of travellers camping out in the surrounds, close to where the inn might have been.  In my part of the world where English colonisation only occurred in the late 1830's, it is very rare to find pre-Victoran era coins - with exception of a couple of local inn sites.  So far we have seen KG3, William IV and a lone Reale from the site, of which most were lost by travellers heading across the border to the rich Victorian Goldfields.
      I had recently been given a more approximate location of the actual inn location, so a day was spent pushing through metre high prickles chasing the telltale iron signature of previous habitation.  There were plenty of clues lying scattered in the soil, ceramics, lead, the odd brass fitting and a lone fob watch winder, though no coins at that stage.  Low and behold after fruitless hours of searching I got my first decent signal within a few metres of my car (always the way), and by the thickness of the coin I knew it was going to be old - an 1806 KG3 penny.  So despite being very happy at finding that coin, looks like I still have a fair bit more ground work to do.  Even more daunting is the sheer size of the site considering my previous Georgian coins and a keg tap were found over 300 metres from the latest coin.