Is It All About Small Targets Only??

We all have seen many videos comparing  metal detectors , changing the coils, frequencies and all kind of settings so they can maximize the capabilities of the "machines"! 

But what about the same machines abilities to detect larger targets like a 20x20 cm or 40x30cm  on greater depths?? 

Am in the only one Qurious about it 🤪 

Have someone seen something about it?? 

6 hours ago, Nik11 said:

But what about the same machines abilities to detect larger targets like a 20x20 cm or 40x30cm  on greater depths??

What are you searching for that is of such a size?  Most people (looking for smaller items, like coins or natural gold) would prefer those large targets gave minimal response as they 'polute' the area around them causing masking and thus missed good targets.  Well, we can wish all we want but it's not happening, thanks to mother nature (aka physics -- the universal rules).

People who are interested in large, deep targets use either two-box induction balance (IB) detectors or the pulse induction (PI) detectors with the strongest pulse currents.  I assume the videos you refer to are comparing IB/VLF detectors -- deep large target recovery not being their strong suit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Large items are generally easier to detect to great depths so we don't usually spend a lot of time discussion the detection of the larger objects.    

We tend to focus on small item detection because those are the hardest to detect and most affected by masking and ground minerals.

We tend to call large object hunting, "cache" hunting and and most any good detector with a larger coil will detect those target sizes deeper than you would want to dig by yourself. 

I'll just throw this out there.....holes deeper than your waist are unsafe to dig alone.  You need a buddy for deep hole digging.   And real excavation requires some forethought before you hop down in there...even bulldozer scrapes....you need a buddy.
Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello!! 

Well to be honest ,it s not like I am looking for something. I recently start engaging with this exciting hobby!! 

You could say that I just wanna know about the different capabilities of different detectors etc....

Something bigger could be an ammunition box or a just any box sized object !! 

I also came across with some of Garrett's detectors....like  Gti 2500 or ATX deep seeker or  ATmax!!They claim to go deeper for" larger" objects as well for  smaller coin size!! 

Ps: thanks for mentioning the PI and IB detectors 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mike_Hillis said:

Large items are generally easier to detect to great depths so we don't usually spend a lot of time discussion the detection of the larger objects.    

We tend to focus on small item detection because those are the hardest to detect and most affected by masking and ground minerals.

We tend to call large object hunting, "cache" hunting and and most any good detector with a larger coil will detect those target sizes deeper than you would want to dig by yourself. 

I'll just throw this out there.....holes deeper than your waist are unsafe to dig alone.  You need a buddy for deep hole digging.   And real excavation requires some forethought before you hop down in there...even bulldozer scrapes....you need a buddy.
Mike

Hello Mike!! 

Thank you for the addition info!! 

Well I bet they do, but also sounds  REALLY interesting don't you think?!?! To dig something out as deep as your hight.... It's crazy!!! 

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

What are you searching for that is of such a size?  Most people (looking for smaller items, like coins or natural gold) would prefer those large targets gave minimal response as they 'polute' the area around them causing masking and thus missed good targets.  Well, we can wish all we want but it's not happening, thanks to mother nature (aka physics -- the universal rules).

People who are interested in large, deep targets use either two-box induction balance (IB) detectors or the pulse induction (PI) detectors with the strongest pulse currents.  I assume the videos you refer to are comparing IB/VLF detectors -- deep large target recovery not being their strong suit.

19 minutes ago, Nik11 said:

I also came across with some of Garrett's detectors....like  Gti 2500 or ATX deep seeker or  ATmax!!They claim to go deeper for" larger" objects as well for  smaller coin size!!  (empahsis mine)

First off, if by 'they' you mean the Garrett advertising creators, you need to take that (along with any other company's advertising) with a grain of salt.  Deeper than what?

The GTI-2500 has a two-box attachment, so that fits in with my earlier post.  The ATX is a ground balancing PI so also fits my earlier post.  I don't know if it has a high current pulse as the Minelab GPX's, but pretty sure it beats some of the GBPI competition such as the no longer manufactured White's TDI/SL.  As far as the ATmax, I think they are getting into more hype-advertising than solid evidence would support.  Is it a good IB/VLF?  Yes.  Is it deeper than its competition?  Many would argue 'no'.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nik11 said:

We all have seen many videos comparing  metal detectors , changing the coils, frequencies and all kind of settings so they can maximize the capabilities of the "machines"! 

Am in the only one Qurious about it 🤪 

Have someone seen something about it?? 

Hi ,

Most of the metal targets , perhaps 99,9% of them , are small/medium sized targets , this is the reason why experienced users do not bother with the 0,1% big sized targets , because the probability to find one is very low.

Considering the depth , do not expect more than 20inches for a 20x20 cm or 40x30cm ammunition box when using  a single coil vlf detector like an Equinox , Vanquish , Garrett , Deus etc ... With a PI like a Minelab GPX you will go deeper but you loose the iron discrimination , and apart from the GPX price , you might find not very funny to dig on a tin can at 30inches deep ... 🙂

HH

• Thanks 1

From top class detectors  and 11"-13" coil .. you can realistically detect a larger coin at 40 cm, a military buckle at 65 cm, a field bottle at 90 cm, and a military helmet at 120  and more cm ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

450 grams of silver depot can be detected at 85-90 cm ...my Tek.G2 in Test...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The NATO 20x 30cm ammunition box with the Two-box can be detected 150 cm in the ground.

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

• The title was changed to Is It All About Small Targets Only??
22 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

From top class detectors  and 11"-13" coil .. you can realistically detect a larger coin at 40 cm, a military buckle at 65 cm, a field bottle at 90 cm, and a military helmet at 120  and more cm ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

450 grams of silver depot can be detected at 85-90 cm ...my Tek.G2 in Test...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The NATO 20x 30cm ammunition box with the Two-box can be detected 150 cm in the ground.

That's interesting!! Nice videos , thanks 😁 

Never had in mind the Teknetics 😬

• Like 1