My Top Shelf Display Finds From 2020.....

Beautiful finds! Great condition!👍👍

• Thanks 1

Very nice finds and all in great condition.

Wish you more luck on your next hunt.

Thank you for sharing.

• Thanks 1

The condition of that dime is amazing!  It could be as high as AU58 and at worst AU55, IMO.  The downside is that often metal detetor finds can have damage which makes them flagged as such, bringing down the value.  One of the California posters here (can't remember which one...) got a detector find graded as BU (not flagged) so there are exceptions.

A coin in this condition carries more than mere Sheldon rating (that's the 55/58 designation above) value.  The quality of the strike can also bring extra value.  Your strike is quite strong.  But to carry extra value it must be unusual for this date+MM to have strong strikes.  I.e. The more unusual it is to find a strong strike the more likely it would carry extra value.

Professionally graded (without any indication of damage and AU55 or better -- two big ifs), this coin could retail for $1k plus.  Note I said 'retail'.  The best prices realized are in the big numismatic auctions and there's a significant premium that goes to the auction company (20-25%, just a guess).  Here are link 1 and link 2 for you to see them.

Another thing worth noting is that there are two varieties -- large 0 and small 0 in the date, and the difference appears pretty subtle.  The small zero version is worth in the range of 20-30% more than the large version for AU grades, apparently.

Your find drives home the point some of us make over and over -- not to clean coins unless you've determined they have little or no numismatic value.  Even rubbing with a cotton cloth will be visible under magnification (the way professional grading services evaluate) and can lead to signficant downgrading.

Bottom line is that this coin likely paid for your Anfibio.  Everything else you find is gravy.

• Like 4

Looks like you did great, a lot of bucket listers there for most!

Although I had to cancel several of my detecting trips last year due to covid, I still managed to find my second gold coin, and a rare one that that.  I ended the year with a handful of 1800's and early 1900's coins that totaled in the $10K range, so I cannot complain.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

The condition of that dime is amazing!  It could be as high as AU58 and at worst AU55, IMO.  The downside is that often metal detetor finds can have damage which makes them flagged as such, bringing down the value.  One of the California posters here (can't remember which one...) got a detector find graded as BU (not flagged) so there are exceptions.

A coin in this condition carries more than mere Sheldon rating (that's the 55/58 designation above) value.  The quality of the strike can also bring extra value.  Your strike is quite strong.  But to carry extra value it must be unusual for this date+MM to have strong strikes.  I.e. The more unusual it is to find a strong strike the more likely it would carry extra value.

Professionally graded (without any indication of damage and AU55 or better -- two big ifs), this coin could retail for $1k plus.  Note I said 'retail'.  The best prices realized are in the big numismatic auctions and there's a significant premium that goes to the auction company (20-25%, just a guess).  Here are link 1 and link 2 for you to see them.

Another thing worth noting is that there are two varieties -- large 0 and small 0 in the date, and the difference appears pretty subtle.  The small zero version is worth in the range of 20-30% more than the large version for AU grades, apparently.

Your find drives home the point some of us make over and over -- not to clean coins unless you've determined they have little or no numismatic value.  Even rubbing with a cotton cloth will be visible under magnification (the way professional grading services evaluate) and can lead to signficant downgrading.

Bottom line is that this coin likely paid for your Anfibio.  Everything else you find is gravy.

Sold, 🤔 Thanks for the insight. I've never figured out how they grade dug coin's, especially silver. I've been blessed enough to dig a few stunners but, my dang they graded low it would blow your mind. I found the trick was just to never mention they were dug. As bad as it sounds, there is just something in that word that just acts as repellent to coin collector's. I understand seeing fine scratches under magnification but, seems like just the word brings them to light.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Looks like you did great, a lot of bucket listers there for most!

Although I had to cancel several of my detecting trips last year due to covid, I still managed to find my second gold coin, and a rare one that that.  I ended the year with a handful of 1800's and early 1900's coins that totaled in the $10K range, so I cannot complain.

Yes Sir, we both had a great year. Tag had eluded me till this year. I've been all around them, first one in bottom of my hole. Was my 2nd trip out with Anfibio. 1st was hen's teeth rare snake button. I was pissed all day. We could not see the tiny snake's head, till I got home & cleaned the button. 13 stars & 13 bars, my buddy kept saying. Where's the f-ing snake?

You wouldn't happen to be the Antler Collector Cal, from out West would you?

11 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

That dime in particular - stunning! Thanks for posting.

I actually found two 1820 dimes & 1832 or 37 half dime, I don't remember exact date. I gave all coinage to the land owner per our contract. Since I found two, owner said I should kept one. I didn't argue. Giving landowner coins for my choice of artifact, is my usual verbal contract in exchange for permission. I believe I took pictures, I usually do unless pressed for time or, if land owner was nearby at time. I'll look back to see if I can find them. They were all beautiful finds! This wasn't the prettiest of the two!

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1