Filigree Platinum Earring - Suggested Settings?

Hi all, 10Hrs on the Nox 800, but been detecting for 35+years on audio machines (Seahunter XS500, SD2100 and Excaliburs) where ears and experience do all the work.

I have been asked to look for a reasonably small (1/4 inch) filigree platinum and ice stud earring, 2 year head start in a flowerbed.  As much as I love the Excal as my goto machine, this is where the Nox is definitely the right tool for the job, and it's going to be tough going and happy to have the sens screwed hot so it's chatting away to itself.  Fortunately no EMI.

Looking to more experienced folks here for suggested tweaks to the defaults to maximise signal for this. I don't have a matching item to test on.  I am estimating it'll be no more than 1" down.

Soil is highly weathered basalt loam, homogenous low levels of background iron and bauxite enough to twitch the signal in pinpoint mode. Will be using the 6" rather than the 11" mophead due to Fe trash.

Appreciate any useful intel on this.

Cheers, and thanks.

How long has it been lost?

This may sound counter-productive but if it is a recent drop I would turn the sens down. Listen for whispers, not deep signals or strong ones. You will be wanting to home in on a very small signal. I've been able to find things as small as tiny shoe sequins smaller the size of a pencil eraser and with the stock coil. It's going to take some serious patience on your end. Do you have the other earring at hand for analysis with the equinox? That would also help greatly in tuning.

Thanks Rob, it has a 2 year lead, will have to use the 6" coil as there's a fair bit of trash, signal will be reduced as it's not a solid item, rather a 'web' of platinum framework holding the diamonds.  Patience, definitely, budgeting on 4Hrs to do one bed at 1 yard wide by maybe 15-20yd long.

Unfortunately I don't have a twin item to trim the discrimination down, and even then there would be a chance of clamping it too tight, so running wide open and verifying every non-ferrous, marking ferrous targets for a second run in case they're masking it.

I would get some small wire and try to simulate the item and then try to locate that first.

Then I would set the sense around 18 because even after 2 years it should only be a few inches down.

Everything else could be factory settings on Park 1, I have tried that and have had it work for me. I was trying to find a small spring that got away from me.

Good luck and just maybe someone else will have a better idea.

I would use Park 2 or Gold 1 for extra sensitivity to tiny targets. If you could find something similar to get an id would help. If itsn't big id is probably 1.

An example this is part of an earring 10k with id 1.

IMG-0881 (1).jpg

• Like 1

Glad I could help. That can narrow down your hunt to start with. Good luck!

I wouldn't use my nox at all but rather use my propointer. The Nox is just too cumbersome in this situation. Grab your propointer and sift the area a little at a time. If it's there you will find it with your propointer. 

I'd use the Gold modes if you can. If there's too much chatter with those, I'd use Field 2. It seems to be the next best mode for tiny gold and platinum. I'd run it with the horseshoe on so you can hear the negative numbers. That earring will probably be in that -2-+2 range. 6" coil, get the sensitivity stable and then reduce it another couple of numbers, recovery speed at 6, and iron bias at 0. Remove any large targets regardless of number just to help keep the masking problem at a minimum. I've found that most pin pointers will have a problem detecting tiny gold and platinum. You may have to go old school and wave a handful under the coil to find the target. Good Luck!

• Like 2