Calm Before The Storm?

Cal_Cobra

Yes, Tom is mentioning some interesting things over on his forum.

I bet the next flagship non gold detector won't be in our hands for a year and a half or more. But like you said Cal, they could announce or start teasing us this year to start building excitement. That will most likely stop some people (it would me) from making any high end detector purchases until they know what Minelab has planned..

It worked for the Equinox, although that wait was a bit painful....

On 1/23/2021 at 6:22 AM, GKman said:

Yes, Tom is mentioning some interesting things over on his forum.

I bet the next flagship non gold detector won't be in our hands for a year and a half or more. But like you said Cal, they could announce or start teasing us this year to start building excitement. That will most likely stop some people (it would me) from making any high end detector purchases until they know what Minelab has planned..

It worked for the Equinox, although that wait was a bit painful....

Kind of what I'm thinking. It worked the first time but this time I already have an EQX800, so patience will be in larger supply this time around 😁

• Like 1

I still don’t quite grasp the coil ear problem. I’ve used mine for almost 2 years like a maniac in a slasher movie when in the overgrown woods I tend to hunt and have never had any problems fortunately. I was nervous when people were talking about it on the forums but all has been fine with mine. Guess it’s just the luck of the draw?? Or maybe some batches were molded too hot or not cooled correctly????

• Like 3

Hey Noah,

The last coil, that i said something like that about, literally broke a day later! I jinxed myself!😱  That was my third coil, and it is now in route to be replaced as of yesterday! And i am Not rough on my coils at all! 👍👍

• Like 3

I hate to jinx myself either but knock on wood.... Since getting the Equinox in early March of 2018 I have had it diving down to at least 10 feet numerous times, used all three coils, sometimes heavily covered in mud, dropped it, left it in the car in the heat of summer, and the cold of winter. etc. I don't believe am exceedingly rough on it (except maybe testing that depth limit - or maybe I am ) , nor do I believe I treat it delicately. The only issue I have experienced is shaft wobble because the hole became elongated in. Instead of sending it back I just drilled a new hole and I was good to go. I detect all of the time too.  When the ground isn't frozen close to seven day a week.

I think there are differences between the coils being made (composition of what it is made of) causing the issues for some folks. 
Obviously people are having some serious issues, thankfully I am not one of them. I just hope Minelab fixes any weaknesses in the next design... 

Gk,

I'm glad you haven't had my problems, seeing how you are an all week hard core hunter! The shaft problem was an easy fix! Good job! 

I too believe it is a molding/formulation problem! Seems to be hit or miss though! At least the service is good, and free until the warranty runs out; other than shipping!

Keep at it, and show us some finds!👍👍

2 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Gk,

I'm glad you haven't had my problems, seeing how you are an all week hard core hunter! The shaft problem was an easy fix! Good job! 

I too believe it is a molding/formulation problem! Seems to be hit or miss though! At least the service is good, and free until the warranty runs out; other than shipping!

Keep at it, and show us some finds!👍👍

Thanks Joe,

I don't post my finds over here much. I enjoy visiting it though because there is oftentimes some deeper knowledge to absorb that you don't find on a  Facebook group or some other forums. 

• Like 1

Exactly why I'm here every day! Among other positive reasons! I don't post many find here either! But only because most of what i find here in S. Florida is pretty boring, and not worth posting pics!

But you on the other hand, I'm sure have some winners!👍👍

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 8:37 AM, GKman said:

I think there are differences between the coils being made (composition of what it is made of) causing the issues for some folks.

It does seem the water detectorists have more problems than us land-lubbers.  Could it be that salt water degrades the plastic and/or the (synthetic?) rubber washers?  Certainly swinging in water can add additional stresses and salt buildup in the interfaces can be an issue as well.  I'm not the first to point out this possible correlation.

My coils (well the 11" since that's what I've used 95+% of the time) are hanging in there with the stock washers and screw.

• Like 2