Calm Before The Storm?

Cal_Cobra

Codan corporate reports almost always foreshadow detector releases and the latest mentions five important products coming in fiscal year 2021. The Minelab fiscal year runs from July to June the following year, so we are already half way through fiscal year 2021. Detectival 2021 is in fiscal year 2022

The MF5 mine detector is one, we now know the GPX 6000 is another. But we do not know what they mean exactly when they say important products. Could be a new pinpointer in there, or an EQX 1000

The 6000 was leaked well ahead, but there has not been an inkling of a leak yet of the new coin detector. The fact Tom is polling people for ideas still should be a clue. This thread is also probably being watched.

• Like 3

On 1/26/2021 at 12:28 PM, Noah (FL) said:

I still don’t quite grasp the coil ear problem. I’ve used mine for almost 2 years like a maniac in a slasher movie when in the overgrown woods I tend to hunt and have never had any problems fortunately. I was nervous when people were talking about it on the forums but all has been fine with mine. Guess it’s just the luck of the draw?? Or maybe some batches were molded too hot or not cooled correctly????

Same here (secretly knocks on wood!) but I've seen the reports.  Not only on Minelab though, other vendors have also had their fair share of coil ear woes. 

Going forward, ALL should have learned from the past to better engineer the coil mounts. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Codan corporate reports almost always foreshadow detector releases and the latest mentions five important products coming in fiscal year 2021. The Minelab fiscal year runs from July to June the following year, so we are already half way through fiscal year 2021. Detectival 2021 is in fiscal year 2022

The MF5 mine detector is one, we now know the GPX 6000 is another. But we do not know what they mean exactly when they say important products. Could be a new pinpointer in there, or an EQX 1000

The 6000 was leaked well ahead, but there has not been an inkling of a leak yet. The fact Tom is polling people for ideas still should be a clue. This thread is also probably being watched.

Seems like my thinking may be accurate in that Minelab would likely launch/announce new product at Detectival 2021 for ML FY22, hope it's not just new pinpointers UNLESS they introduce an inline pinpointer that works like a wireless Sunray probe with the detector audio (sign me up for one of those!).  

The EQX1K would be most welcome, but unless it brings something earth shattering to the table, I may not be first in line to sign up for one this time around, I'm pretty happy with the EQX800. 

• Like 2

On 1/26/2021 at 12:28 PM, Noah (FL) said:

I still don’t quite grasp the coil ear problem. I’ve used mine for almost 2 years like a maniac in a slasher movie when in the overgrown woods I tend to hunt and have never had any problems fortunately. I was nervous when people were talking about it on the forums but all has been fine with mine. Guess it’s just the luck of the draw?? Or maybe some batches were molded too hot or not cooled correctly????

I tend to think it is a materials problem not the physical design. It probably is a close thing, as light as possible, but requiring a perfect mix and process. I'm like you. Three Equinox, large coil collection with the oldest coils in the country, long hard use - not a single ear issue. But it clearly is happening to people. I do know when I hunt rough surf I've had to lean on detectors, so I can see why water hunting adds that extra dimension.

• Like 2

After almost two years, I thought I was immune too. Never water hunt, kept the coil loose and had good washers in it. It broke horizontally. I think the problem is not as much materials as the forming by injection molding with the top cooling off before the bottom of the ear. Buy who knows. 

Are the coils machine wrapped or by hand? New coil seems different. But may be just me. 

IMG_2178.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That horizontalish break is how all three of mine broke! I'm actually thinking of being proactive when new coil #3 gets here! I may glue some fiber washers to the outside of the tabs to strengthen them this time! ML states they have issue with those 3D printed tab protectors! But I've never used one, as they look overly bulky to me! And some have said that their tabs still broke with them on!  I don't have a foolproof solution yet! We will see!👍👍

• Like 1

Hey not that this means anything, but not long ago a dealer was selling his CTX demo unit. I thought about buying, then I got to thinking why sell your demo unit? I started looking around and at the big seller's and they have practically no Etrac's or CTX's in stock. Might have been a bunch sold at Christmas and no new restock shipments yet, but maybe they won't be restocked.

1 hour ago, Joe D. said:

That horizontalish break is how all three of mine broke! I'm actually thinking of being proactive when new coil #3 gets here! I may glue some fiber washers to the outside of the tabs to strengthen them this time! ML states they have issue with those 3D printed tab protectors! But I've never used one, as they look overly bulky to me! And some have said that their tabs still broke with them on!  I don't have a foolproof solution yet! We will see!👍👍

ALL yous guys have seen the fix.  Don't put a coil in the water until complete!!!

coil 2.jpg

coil 1.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Joe D. said:

I believe you are right. Never used the protectors but your “splint” fiber washer may work. I might do that. If I do i’ll add a washer size piece of milk jug plastic so friction is reduced between the fiber washer and nut. Someone had that idea posted somewhere.

Not surprised ML has a problem with the protectors.

When your new coil arrives, look at the ear break area. On each ear, there is a similar horizontal flash where the two halves of the ear came out of the mould. Probably where the mould opens up after plastic injection.

Anyway ML has enough broken samples but I hope they fix this before warranty runs out or extend it for the coil ears. 

thanks and good luck!