Calm Before The Storm?

Cal_Cobra

1 hour ago, FloridaSon said:

Midalake is that epoxy?

Thanks 

Yes it is epoxy. Loctite Marine Epoxy.

Step 1 Coat the entire coil protector bottom and sides with epoxy and set into place making extra sure of full epoxy contact.

Step 2  Epoxy extra side plates to each side.

Step 3  Enjoy coil ears that will never break. Especially when 2000 miles away from home  and no where near Minelab service. 

Dave

• Like 1

I will be trying some verson of that on the new coil! May void the warranty, but after three, I'm over it! 

Midilake,

Any particular reason for the marine epoxy? I used the quick set JB weld for the repair on my last coil, and it worked out fine! Im guessing it is whatever works!!👍👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe D. said:

I will be trying some verson of that on the new coil! May void the warranty, but after three, I'm over it! 

Midilake,

Any particular reason for the marine epoxy? I used the quick set JB weld for the repair on my last coil, and it worked out fine! Im guessing it is whatever works!!👍👍

I have used JB Weld before. But I like the working time of the Marine epoxy better. I also think it is more durable to prolonged salt use. I noticed JB weld would always wear off the bottom of the coil faster. 

Slower setting epoxies as a general rule are stronger.   Dave

On 1/22/2021 at 11:18 AM, Cal_Cobra said:

Joe I'm sure that Minelab has performed a post mortem on these design weaknesses, and is cognizant of improving these design flaws in future releases, provided it makes $$$ sense. 

There certainly has to be a top ten list of opportunities of improvement, like:

1. Better coil ear design
  2. Better water proofing
  3. Better weight balance (not coil heavy) without increasing weight
  4. Better shaft design
  5. Better designed button layout
  6. ?
  7. ?
  8. ?
  9. ?
  10. ?

#6. Programmable default where you can make the "horseshoe on" the standard at start-up.

#7. A pod/handle that is angle adjustable

#8. Internal coil cable

On 1/28/2021 at 10:30 AM, Cal_Cobra said:

Same here (secretly knocks on wood!) but I've seen the reports.  Not only on Minelab though, other vendors have also had their fair share of coil ear woes. 

Going forward, ALL should have learned from the past to better engineer the coil mounts. 

I've been complaining for years that the coil design of almost every manufacturer is backwards. I think the coil should have a solid (with a through hole naturally) hub, and the clevis should have the ears.....like a wishbone. Make those clevises cheap and easy to replace. Even supply an extra with each detector sold. Built properly, those wishbone clevises could be flexible just enough to where you could adjust it to whatever tightness you like. You could even design an adjustable clutch type connection for the perfect amount of resistance. With a solid hub on the coil, no more $$$ replacement costs for broken ears, just a couple of bucks for a new clevis.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Joe D. said:

That horizontalish break is how all three of mine broke! I'm actually thinking of being proactive when new coil #3 gets here! I may glue some fiber washers to the outside of the tabs to strengthen them this time! ML states they have issue with those 3D printed tab protectors! But I've never used one, as they look overly bulky to me! And some have said that their tabs still broke with them on!  I don't have a foolproof solution yet! We will see!👍👍

I used a coil stiffener from Detecting Doodads and it broke. I sent some pictures to the company/owner and he was surprised it broke and stated he would send me another. Never received a replacement and he won't return emails or any correspondence. I guess the initial $15 I paid for it filled his pockets and he won't honor his word. Lousy place to do business with.

doodad 2.jpeg

coil stiffener.jpeg

• Sad 3
  • Oh my! 1

Cuda,

I think you are 100% correct on the design alterations! I know that some have done the wishbone already! 

To expand on that idea, how about a retrofit kit for each brand of detector and coil! They (independent manufacturer) would supply a solid piece for the middle of the coil tabs, and the wishbone end to replace the existing end on the lower shaft! All dimensions and tolerances would match each brand of coil and shaft! Would be cheap to mass produce!

That would be much easier to accomplish than to get the manufacturer's to change!

I think that the 3D printing is just not practical enough, or cheap enough, for most people to make there own items yet! And I'm not sure the formulations used are durable enough for the home printer! I could be wrong though!

Business opportunity anyone??👍👍

8 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

Cuda,

I think you are 100% correct on the design alterations! I know that some have done the wishbone already! 

To expand on that idea, how about a retrofit kit for each brand of detector and coil! They (independent manufacturer) would supply a solid piece for the middle of the coil tabs, and the wishbone end to replace the existing end on the lower shaft! All dimensions and tolerances would match each brand of coil and shaft! Would be cheap to mass produce!

That would be much easier to accomplish than to get the manufacturer's to change!

I think that the 3D printing is just not practical enough, or cheap enough, for most people to make there own items yet! And I'm not sure the formulations used are durable enough for the home printer! I could be wrong though!

Business opportunity anyone??👍👍

SteveG?

• Like 2

That would be awesome! He would have my business! Great guy too! If nothing else, than just for the Nox, since that is where most of the failures seem to be occurring; at least there current coils!👍👍

5 hours ago, okara gold said:

I used a coil stiffener from Detecting Doodads and it broke. I sent some pictures to the company/owner and he was surprised it broke and stated he would send me another. Never received a replacement and he won't return emails or any correspondence. I guess the initial $15 I paid for it filled his pockets and he won't honor his word. Lousy place to do business with.

doodad 2.jpeg

coil stiffener.jpeg

Detecting Doodads  items are made from Infill, NOT SOLID PLASTIC. They are JUNK!  

• Like 1