Calm Before The Storm?

Cal_Cobra

I like the "solid coil mount " with the ears on the rod end idea . 

Minelab could change future coils to that version and only have to replace older design coils in stock that break. Maybe their design engineers could come up with a better idea to improve the coil tabs AND an add-on  strengthener kit for the still in use coils  .

One of my old bosses used to tell me right before showing me an impossible show rider.."If you're half the engineer I think you are you can make it work !" (He probably told all of us that LOL)  

Customers that have to deal with this issue several times probably aren't going to be the best advertising for ML !   I'm sure there are a LOT of these coils already made and fixing them all has a cost , but so does bad press .

I'm surprised at how well those here are coping with this problem , kudos guys !

As a new Nox owner I'm not too happy finding all this out after purchase .( my research bad , and I waited 2 years ! ) This and the waterproof issue is bad enough to make me seriously wonder about future ML choices (a 6000???) 

Hope they figure out a solution soon. Or at least tell us they're trying........ 

Until then...I'm not submerging the control unit and not swinging a coil as close to the ground as I want to...arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

While your machine is under warranty, I wouldn't worry about it. If it fails, they'll replace it. After the warranty is up, that's when you may want to baby it a bit. Maybe by then they'll have an even better detector so you won't have to worry about it at all.

• Like 1

Minelab's tech and service are hard to beat! I think overall they do a great job! Thanks to many here, experienced in the business end of detecting! I now understand the reasons behind ML's lack of acknowledgement to any flaws in there products! That doesn't mean that i agree! But it is what it is, and it's still our choice to spend our money on ML, or some other brand! So ultimately, they will likely phase out the problems with their next iteration! And we will continue to use what we think works for us! Even if it means some DIY repairs down the road!

Everyone's happy! Hopefully!😊👍👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rvpopeye said:

There were still a lot of good reasons why I chose the 800. 

Just not happy with myself for not finding all the issues before deciding....  

Don’t project that you’ll have issues.  I was on the waiting list and got one of the first ones.  Mine’s still fine... no problems.  

• Like 1

Yup yup .  That be true Toad.. 

Mine works just fine so far but I haven't submerged it yet either.   I'd set it in a bathtub full of water overnight just to find out if it did leak before the warranty runs out ,,,,,,,,,,,,but then I could be without  "my precious" 800. LOL  

I do realize the leaky units (and coil ear breaks) could be caused by one issue that only happened for a short time during production and the ones we hear about are a small % of total production. But maybe not......or , maybe they just want us to buy 2 and have a back up. 😜