I sure do!!! I'm probably spelling his name wrong but, Great Britain's Jim Fiveash built custom detector's that was among the first to successfully hunt in the coke, coal, & iron debris of the Thames River shoreline. His last three improved versions of The Red Heat XD 17s. Were sent to America. For myself & two friends. Jim was a brilliant mind, that was dying of cancer while completing our machines. It took Jim a long time to complete our three custom built detectors, they were improved version of his legendary XD-17. Jim died shortly after we received our machines. He never even got a full report of there amazing performance! These machines were way ahead of there time, with great depth, separation, lightening fast retune speed & telescoping rod deployment. I foolishly sold my Red Heat 17+ not truly considering the brilliant cutting edge technology, workmanship & shear artwork that Jim had poured his final days into. Making these machines for 3 American fans of his work. Somewhere in America, there is 3 very extra special Red Heat Detector's!!! I hope they're in good hands & still detecting relics!!! I don't even have a picture of them. RIP Jim!!!

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Still have my first.

Why did you sell it?

Lots of them. My Tejon but a really good friend wanted it and sold it to him cheap.

A Sovereign X2 traded it for a Fisher Coin Strike. Most of my old coin finds were with the Sovereign.

• Like 2

P

7 hours ago, kac said:

Still have my first.

Why did you sell it?

Money at the time. I had little ones to feed. I was offered a good bit more than I had in detector. Plus Metal Detector's in general had just made a big leap. Coming off the X-5 Tejons, MXT, then The Terrible 2 & F-75 was out. Especially the ID machines in my mind was the future. I was running a relic website at time, I was trying & changing machines good bit. I had a truck & room full of detector's. I let some go without thinking. 🤔  I do regret this one! This wasn't a factory machine, it was a final build of a great metal detector engineer. Jim was very well known & respected among his peers. I suspect, we are still swinging his ideas around today?

• Like 2

My very first Minelab E-trac was different than any other one I ever saw or used. The VDI numbers were off by a couple but it didn't jump on pennies or dimes. it was deadly accurate, I didn't know it was different when I sold it and only reason I got rid of it was they offered us dealers really good prices on demo units we had to keep for a year and could sell. My thought was I would get a new one each year which I did but I wish I would have never got rid of that first one.

• Like 3

I have the opposite problem.

11 hours ago, The Georgiadigger said:

Plus Metal Detector's in general had just made a big leap. Coming off the X-5 Tejons, MXT, then The Terrible 2 & F-75 was out.

:laugh: I'd never seen that nickname and had to think a while to figure it out.

GeorgiaDigger,

Maybe if you put out some feelers on different forums, you can at least locate one of the "Red Heats"! Would make for an interesting story! It would be really cool to know if it still works, and if you could acquire one!

One of the form members who unfortunately has cancer, was trying to locate the same type of detector that was his first detector! He was eventually hooked up with a collector who had several! Last i heard, the collector was sending him one for free! Great story, and generosity, on the collector's part!!👍👍

2 hours ago, locator said:

That was one I had in mind to buy, but never did.

https://detectorsource.tripod.com/RedHeat.html

Vic Fiveash was his name i met him and visited his shop/house in 2000/2001 i think,he was living in Peckam SE london 10 min drive from me ,it was also said that he was a prestidigitator..........but far from me the idea of tarnishing his memory .I bought a MKII years ago with a 5"coil and it didnt make miracle on the Thames,trust me.

But somehow the machine had very good performances.Some said his designs were clone of Tesoros,last and not least i also heard his design were sold to a company from western Europe.I m in touch with a guy in France who recently bought 2 and was looking for parts........recently a 5" coil came out on ebay and was snatched in a sec

RR

RR

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I have the opposite problem.

:laugh: I'd never seen that nickname and had to think a while to figure it out.

Affectionately known as the Terrible-2. I tried to keep a lid on the detector when it first came out. Local diggers would ask me, how I liked it. My reply, it's Terrible. I'd turn sensitivity up, unplug headphones, & let them listen to a wall of mixed audio. Most of them at time were using silent search machines, they'd would shake there heads or, say screw that. I did pretty dang good with that machine for a very long time. Think 🤔 the Deus finally made me sit it down but, I still have a F-75 backing-up Anfibio now. Deus got shuffled because everyone started swinging them.

• Haha 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By GotAU?
      I’ve been curious about using the Bureau of Land Management’s MLRS site   https://mlrs.blm.gov/s/   to figure out where to go detect on open lands in heavily claimed areas, and I’ve noticed that it does show some “active claims” on the maps highlighted with red crosshatching, but it doesn’t show “active claims” in other areas at all. It’s strange because the map key includes a code for active load and active placer claims, in addition to closed ones. I’ve heard that it’s because BLM hasn’t caught up on the records yet, but does anyone know why otherwise? I hope it becomes available because that would be a wonderful feature instead of having to get records from their offices. 
    • By Reno Chris
      I had posted in another thread about how many prospectors do not take the time to accurately pinpoint and therefore spend a lot of unnecessary time chasing their target, resulting in less gold found. I thought it might be better to have a clean thread specifically on the topic.
      Its important because taking an extra 30 seconds to pinpoint a target carefully can save 5 minutes or more of digging and chasing. Multiply 5 minutes per target (more or less) by 20 or more targets a day and it really adds up. Plus the less time you spend digging and chasing your targets, the more time you spend actually searching for gold. This means you will be able to detect and find more targets in a day resulting in more gold produced.

Geof_junk had suggested a method described by Garrett to make a 90 degree X
      It works, but even that is very rough.  People swing over a target from one direction, then swing over it from another direction and where both lines that indicate the target cross, that is where the target is....
      Sort of.

The Garrett description says to use the line where the target is loudest, but often a target is pretty much the same intensity over the whole body of the coil. And a lot of prospectors just use the lines for anywhere the coil sounds, but depending on the size of your target, whether the target is sounding on the front edge or the back edge, or anywhere in between, your "imaginary line" can be almost twice the width of the coil. Then cross that with an "imaginary line" at 90 to the first one, you now have a circle roughly twice the diameter of the coil in which the target could be located. The smaller the coil, the smaller the circle of possibility - so pinpointing with a small coil is just naturally easier. On the other hand, if you are swinging the GPX with a standard coil, that circle is up to 28 inches, and because you need to swing the coil through the hole over the target, now you need a hole of about 42 inches and if its deep, that is going to be a real crater!

This is why its important to step back of the target and swing forward to make sure you are hearing it on the front of the coil. Move the coil  slowly forward as you swing it and where you first get a full target response, mark that line. Turn 90 degrees and do the same. That crossing should get you a more accurate pinpoint of the target location, allowing you to dig and recover the target more quickly.

Any other thoughts about pinpointing?
    • By zortan
      Hello all,
      A number of years ago I was one of the the first people to come upon a motorcycle accident in which 3 people lost their lives.  During the passing of one of the women she took her wedding ring off at some point which was found about a week later by someone who had come to see the wreck site.  I thought it was strange that I didn’t see it since I was by her side at the time of passing but it was good that the ring was returned to her family.  I also remembered seeing somewhere that apparently when someone passes quickly they will sometimes take off clothes and restrictive items.
      I then remembered that in the mountains where I live a mother and daughter got lost, their bodies were found 2 years later.  Animals had strewn their bodies about.  I’ve considered for the last 2 years or so to go up there with my metal detector to see if I couldn’t find any sentimental jewelry to return to the Father/husband, I would give it to the sheriff to return to the family if I found anything.
      My dilemma is this.  By all accounts this could be considered a gravesite and should not be disturbed at all.  Another part of me, the father/husband part of me, would relish to have any piece of my loved ones returned and if I knew I could get them nothing would stop me from having them back.
      since I’ve not been able to decide if this is right or wrong I haven’t even visited the site.  I’d like to hear your thoughts if this is ethical and right to consider doing this.  If it would affect your decision, there is a possibility that I would find small skeletal remains as well that were missed by the search and rescue crews.  
    • By oneguy
      Last season I started hunting with my SDC and would mark 10 targets with those construction flags, then fire up the Goldmonster, scrape off a couple inches and chase down the target with the Monster.  I found this helped me PP faster and also be able to use the discrimination on the Monster and help speed things up for the way I hunt. Wash, rinse, repeat.  I've actually lost sight of those construction flags laying on the ground a few times and wasted some precious time looking for my target marker(s).  I found these packs of 10, in many colors, heavy duty markers, 7" diameter.  Looking forward to using something I can see next season.  I went with the "passionate pink"...lol  If you mark targets before you dig check em out.....

• By BobL
      Hello, I was in search for a hobby That takes me outside. I was a rock climber, kayaker, backpacker, Ect...... Bu know at 50 I had a heart attack, and a bad back so a lot of the extreme sports are done. Living near The great Lakes and spending a lot of time in/on/ and near them might be a good place to spend a day metal detecting. I was wondering if anyone has the time to share what is a good detector for around 1000.00-1500.00, All the reviews I have seen so far are trying to sell me something. So un-biased reviews and thoughts would be great. I would like to buy something that I would not have to upgrade for a while. But I know nothing about the brands, or coils, ect... Minlab seems to have a big following but I do not know if it is just hype.
      Thank You
    • By schoolofhardNox
      I was wondering if anyone has ordered anything from this company before. I'm assuming my headphones dies on the AQ, so I wanted to get the cable and have someone build me a new set of headphones. This company has the 5 pin M8 connector needed for the AQ I think.  It also has the ones that are "L" shaped which would look to be a better way to have the cable come out of the battery. The video shown sounds promising and the price seems extremely reasonable. Let me know what you think. Will it work?
      https://www.automationdirect.com/videos/video?videoToPlay=gV0yX9qSAds