Ever Regretted Selling A Detector?

I sure do!!! I'm probably spelling his name wrong but, Great Britain's Jim Fiveash built custom detector's that was among the first to successfully hunt in the coke, coal, & iron debris of the Thames River shoreline. His last three improved versions of The Red Heat XD 17s. Were sent to America. For myself & two friends. Jim was a brilliant mind, that was dying of cancer while completing our machines. It took Jim a long time to complete our three custom built detectors, they were improved version of his legendary XD-17. Jim died shortly after we received our machines. He never even got a full report of there amazing performance! These machines were way ahead of there time, with great depth, separation, lightening fast retune speed & telescoping rod deployment. I foolishly sold my Red Heat 17+ not truly considering the brilliant cutting edge technology, workmanship & shear artwork that Jim had poured his final days into. Making these machines for 3 American fans of his work. Somewhere in America, there is 3 very extra special Red Heat Detector's!!! I hope they're in good hands & still detecting relics!!! I don't even have a picture of them. RIP Jim!!!

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

Lots of them. My Tejon but a really good friend wanted it and sold it to him cheap.

A Sovereign X2 traded it for a Fisher Coin Strike. Most of my old coin finds were with the Sovereign.

• Like 2

P

7 hours ago, kac said:

Still have my first.

Why did you sell it?

Money at the time. I had little ones to feed. I was offered a good bit more than I had in detector. Plus Metal Detector's in general had just made a big leap. Coming off the X-5 Tejons, MXT, then The Terrible 2 & F-75 was out. Especially the ID machines in my mind was the future. I was running a relic website at time, I was trying & changing machines good bit. I had a truck & room full of detector's. I let some go without thinking. 🤔  I do regret this one! This wasn't a factory machine, it was a final build of a great metal detector engineer. Jim was very well known & respected among his peers. I suspect, we are still swinging his ideas around today?

• Like 2

My very first Minelab E-trac was different than any other one I ever saw or used. The VDI numbers were off by a couple but it didn't jump on pennies or dimes. it was deadly accurate, I didn't know it was different when I sold it and only reason I got rid of it was they offered us dealers really good prices on demo units we had to keep for a year and could sell. My thought was I would get a new one each year which I did but I wish I would have never got rid of that first one.

• Like 3

I have the opposite problem.

11 hours ago, The Georgiadigger said:

Plus Metal Detector's in general had just made a big leap. Coming off the X-5 Tejons, MXT, then The Terrible 2 & F-75 was out.

:laugh: I'd never seen that nickname and had to think a while to figure it out.

GeorgiaDigger,

Maybe if you put out some feelers on different forums, you can at least locate one of the "Red Heats"! Would make for an interesting story! It would be really cool to know if it still works, and if you could acquire one!

One of the form members who unfortunately has cancer, was trying to locate the same type of detector that was his first detector! He was eventually hooked up with a collector who had several! Last i heard, the collector was sending him one for free! Great story, and generosity, on the collector's part!!👍👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, locator said:

That was one I had in mind to buy, but never did.

https://detectorsource.tripod.com/RedHeat.html

Vic Fiveash was his name i met him and visited his shop/house in 2000/2001 i think,he was living in Peckam SE london 10 min drive from me ,it was also said that he was a prestidigitator..........but far from me the idea of tarnishing his memory .I bought a MKII years ago with a 5"coil and it didnt make miracle on the Thames,trust me.

But somehow the machine had very good performances.Some said his designs were clone of Tesoros,last and not least i also heard his design were sold to a company from western Europe.I m in touch with a guy in France who recently bought 2 and was looking for parts........recently a 5" coil came out on ebay and was snatched in a sec

RR

RR

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I have the opposite problem.

:laugh: I'd never seen that nickname and had to think a while to figure it out.

Affectionately known as the Terrible-2. I tried to keep a lid on the detector when it first came out. Local diggers would ask me, how I liked it. My reply, it's Terrible. I'd turn sensitivity up, unplug headphones, & let them listen to a wall of mixed audio. Most of them at time were using silent search machines, they'd would shake there heads or, say screw that. I did pretty dang good with that machine for a very long time. Think 🤔 the Deus finally made me sit it down but, I still have a F-75 backing-up Anfibio now. Deus got shuffled because everyone started swinging them.

• Haha 1