Ever Regretted Selling A Detector?

4 hours ago, Rivers rat said:

Vic Fiveash was his name i met him and visited his shop/house in 2000/2001 i think,he was living in Peckam SE london 10 min drive from me ,it was also said that he was a prestidigitator..........but far from me the idea of tarnishing his memory .I bought a MKII years ago with a 5"coil and it didnt make miracle on the Thames,trust me.

But somehow the machine had very good performances.Some said his designs were clone of Tesoros,last and not least i also heard his design were sold to a company from western Europe.I m in touch with a guy in France who recently bought 2 and was looking for parts........recently a 5" coil came out on ebay and was snatched in a sec

RR

RR

Yes Sir, Vic was his name! I knew I didn't have it right. My understanding was MKll was a good discriminator but, had very little depth. We had stumbled onto a XD17 and it did a good job at urban digging. Excellent discrimination, good depth. Some point later we bumped into a guy that knew Vic. Three of us wanted a USA relic machine. We asked Vic to build what we wanted. It took awhile but, he did a hell of a job. Detector was like no Tesoro I've ever swung, inside who knows? Our XD17s were similar looking to one in video but, sturdier. Different controls & set-up arrangement. We had explained best we could, what we wanted in a machine. At time I don't even think Retune speed was in our vocabulary. I remember saying signal reset, & of course depth depth depth! Anyway, our XDs had excellent pure analog sound, excellent discrimination, boost that added considerable depth, ground balance that I actually ran detector stable in Culpeper, VA soil. Detector was/is like all detectors, it had limitations but, was a sweet digging machine. The perfect detector hasn't been made yet but, for Vic fans in the UK/Europe. There is 3, very different XD17s out there somewhere! His machines have a cult like following. Seen XD17 sell last year for $900. If Vic's wife is still alive, she'll verify. His last 3 machines, came to America & they weren't ordinary builds either! Just kind of putting that out there for his following! There is three oddballs that was inspired by American Relic Hunters! 

• Like 2

In 2019 I sold my White's V3i that I had bought new in 2009. It was one of the original "Vision" versions before White's was forced to rename the detector. I sent it in to White's and had it updated to the V3i version and expected them to change the decal but they didn't so it still had Vision on it. After having it for 10 years, I just knew that White's would have to be releasing a "NEW" top of the line detector so I thought I'd sell mine before it was no longer White's  "Top Of The Line". Well we all know what happened next. Wish I had kept it. The V3i with a BigFoot coil is a killer Clad & Jewelry machine. For now, my C & J detector is the DFX with BigFoot. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Sort of but not really. I have sold many models only to buy the same model later. It has almost never worked out. Nostalgia is a fine thing but technology does genuinely advance. My only real regret was not learning sooner that once I let something go just move on. It’s like getting divorced and then marrying them again. Sometimes that works, but...... :smile:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Lots of folks think that the Tesoro Diablo MicroMax is the most desirable Tesoro of all time. I had two (or three, I’m not sure) and sold each one - even though it took a LOT of effort to find each one.

Do I regret selling them - not really, but if I saw a chance to buy another one at a good price, I would likely do so.

I am a sucker for a “story” detector - one that has a real “buzz’ associated with it - hence the D’MMax. Hence also why I currently have four Bigfoot coils, a Teknetics Mk I, a Tesoro Pantera and various other strays.

I learn something from each of them, trying to understand what made them special to so many users, and then - the realities of storage space and lack of time - make it reasonable to move on.

• Like 2

Yep.....Minelab GP3500. Spend some time looking for a pristine unit and I finally did. Managed to pick another one up a few months ago and it’s in even better condition......it’s a keeper this time.

12 hours ago, Rick Kempf said:

Hence also why I currently have four Bigfoot coils

Sooo, that's where they keep going! We've got our eyes on you now Rick! And the classifieds!👍👍

For my part it may be the bandido 2 Umax and the Vista Gold with 5" coil BUT we cant keep them all do we :)

Got many at the moment and the thing is they are harder to sell by the time they are staying in my workshop :)

RR

35 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

Sooo, that's where they keep going! We've got our eyes on you now Rick! And the classifieds!👍👍

Jeez. I have been and have bought two such coils from him already!  That makes 3 for me, plus I may try making my own for one of my surf pi’s.  Would love one for the CTX or Equinox but probably will never happen.

I have 2 of the DFX type BF and two of the older 6.59 MHz ones. I have listed one of the DFX ones for $550 (to get my money back. I overpaid a bit for it). The other one I am hanging on to along with the DFX I got with it for a price which would piss everybody off if I revealed it. 

The 2 of the older type are staying for now - one for my IDX Pro and one of the earliest ones for adapting to my Teknetics Mark I to make what might be the best coin and ring sweeper possible.